How Much Does It Cost to Rent a Banquet Hall?
A banquet hall is a large room designed to hold a reception, a party or large social event. These halls are often located in clubs, hotels or within a restaurant.
How much is it?
- On average, the cost of renting a banquet hall without any sort of catering or other services is going to range anywhere between $200 and $3,800. The average banquet hall is $1,244 according to the Bridal Association of America. The costs will depend on the geographical location, how many people are attending, what you need to be included, the size of the room, setup and the company/hotel/resort offering the hall.
- We were able to contact a few hotel chains in our area (Arizona) and were able to get the following prices for 150 people on a Saturday evening. This was the price to reserve the banquet hall room only.
|Doubletree||$2,000 to $4,000|
|Hilton||$5,000 to $9,000 (talked with two)|
|Holiday Inn||$500 to $1,750 (talked with three)|
|Radisson||$800 to $3,000 (talked with three)|
|Resort in a higher end area||$3,000 ($12,000 option was available)|
What is going to be included?
- The price mentioned above only covers the rental fee for the banquet hall you booked.
- Most banquet halls should include free parking, have an area for a dance floor/DJ as well as a table setup that can accommodate eight to 10 people at each table.
- At a minimum, most hotels and companies ask that you rent out the hall for at least four hours. Each company will have its own minimums, however.
What are the extra costs?
- For those who want to have a catering service or use the service within the hall, the catering service is going to start at $8 a person and may be as high as $80 per person. This will all depend on the food being served and catering company you choose. If you would like to have an open bar, this will be an extra charge. This can increase the per-person price by $10-$20.
- Every extra hour or amount of extended time can often incur additional costs.
- Some halls may charge extra if you need a projector or sound system setup.
- Other premium add-ons may include chair upgrades, an open bar, uplighting, extra tables, upgraded linens and security.
- A security deposit is going to be needed in order to secure the reservation. This is going to protect the hall from any damage done. As long as no damage is done, you will be able to get this deposit back.
- If the company doesn’t offer a self-parking option, you may have to hire a valet service at an additional fee.
Tips to know
- Pay close attention to the contract to see what fees you will be responsible for. Sometimes, the pricing will often be listed as “exclusive,” meaning it won’t include the tax or service fees.
How can I save money?
- Consider choosing a non-peak time slot to save. For example, having your event on a Thursday night is much cheaper than having it on a Friday or Saturday night.
- One part that can help you reduce the expenses greatly is the food selection. While deciding on the menu, choose the food items that use easy-to-find ingredients. It is also usually cheaper to go with the banquet hall’s catering service rather than an outside service. Also, buffet-style setups can cost a lot less than a plate service.
- If you cannot afford a higher-end hall, consider other lower cost alternatives such as a VFW hall or Parks and Recreation Center. If there’s space, there is a good chance the company may allow you to rent it out. This VFW hall in Illinois, for example, charges $110 per hour for Friday and Saturday nights.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.