How Much Does Billboard Advertising Cost?
Billboard advertising offers a company the opportunity to show their message to thousands of people. One of the more popular ways to promote your product, especially if you own a local business rather than a franchise, is by using a billboard. Billboard advertising shows a large sign of your product or service in areas with high traffic. The billboards have an illustration as well as a message designed by an advertising company to make the product or service seem attractive.
How much does a billboard cost?
- Billboard advertising costs can be different depending on the location of the billboard. Areas with higher traffic can cost more compared to a billboard that is placed in an area which generates little traffic. The price can also increase depending on the duration of the contract you sign with the advertising company. Because of these different factors, the price of billboard advertising has a very wide range; it can cost from $1,500 to as much as $100,000 per month.
- The price for electronic billboards can cost anywhere from $1,200 to $5,000. This type of billboard rotates advertising for multiple customers for 6-8 seconds per customer.
- One of the companies that offers billboard advertising is Blue Line Media. The company offers different forms of billboards available for advertising. They offer printed and digital billboards which are available for varying lengths of time. They offer large billboards for $1,500 to $30,000 for a month. Small to medium sized billboards that can be posted for 4 weeks for $300 to $2,000.
Type of Billboard
Bulletin Board (Large)
$1,000 to $75,000 per 4 weeks
30 Sheet Poster (Medium)
$500 to $10,000 per 4 weeks
Junior Poster (Small)
$200 to $5,000 per 4 weeks
$3,000 to $50,000 per 4 weeks
NOTE: Prices are going to widely vary depending on the location and the company offering the billboard.
4-Week Ad Rate
NOTE: Rates were found on ClearChannel.com
What is going to be included?
- The advertising agency you choose will provide the area where the billboard will be posted. They will offer the structures that they already have placed across the city and will be responsible for the installation of the billboard.
- Your billboard will be up on the specified area for a specific length of time. There will be a contract provided that will stipulate the length of time the billboard will be shown.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional cost that can be added to the total price for getting billboard advertising is the conceptualization of the billboard itself. Designing and printing the billboard are separate processes which can be done by a different company. The size of the billboard will also be considered for the price of the billboard advertising.
- If you want to extend the contract of the billboard, it will also be added to the total cost since you will have to pay for the additional time the billboard stays up.
Tips to know:
- Remember that higher traffic areas will cost you more, so you may want to do market research first to identify the right demographic that would support your product. If you do this, interest for your product will greatly increase even if the location where the billboard is placed does not generate high traffic.
- Many advertising companies will require a minimum amount of billboards. For example, larger billboard companies may require that you reserve at least five spots in their network before they work with you.
How can I save money?
- There are other ways of advertising your products. If you feel that you do not have a large enough budget to accommodate media advertisement, you may want to seek other options such as promoting it through the internet.
- Make sure that the billboards that you have are posted in areas that may hit your targeted audience. This can be done through market research. This may cost you extra, but you will be able to save on advertising costs by choosing the correct venue.
- Government and non-profit agencies can often receive a discount.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.