How Much Does Bluefin Tuna Cost?
The bluefin tuna is native to the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea. Rivaling the marlin and swordfish, this fish can weigh close to 1,000 pounds. Highly prized as food for sushi and sashimi, this fish has been heavily targeted by the raw fish market.
How much is it?
- Bluefin tuna can be purchased in many different forms, the form in which you buy the tuna will be the biggest factor used to determine the price. You could purchase a whole fish that has not been filleted yet; you could also purchase fresh fillets from the fresh meat section of your grocery store. These two would be on the more expensive end of the price spectrum. The cheaper options of purchasing bluefin tuna would be buying a bag of frozen fillets or buying a can of tuna meat that has been cut into chunks.
- On average, plan on spending anywhere from $15 to $45 per pound at a local fresh fish market. Purchasing it from an online retailer that already has it prepared can cost you $30 to $50 per pound.
- Since this type of fish is getting harder to find, the prices have recently risen a significant amount. In fact, there was an instance where someone paid as much as $1,200 per pound. Because bluefin is deemed the best tuna but is also declining in number, the price can be quite high.
- Bluefin tuna that is in a can will retail for $15 to $30 per 10 to 15 ounces. For example, the Mediterranean Bluefin Tuna Torancio retails for $31.
- SeafoodHarbor.com is a popular online retailer that sells both fresh and canned tuna. The most popular cuts of tuna maybe tuna steaks; these fresh quality tuna steaks are perfect for grilling. Tuna steaks are considered to be the filet mignon of the high seas, and that is really saying something. These fresh tuna steaks can be purchased for anywhere in the range of $50 to $55.
- Aside from bluefin tuna steaks, the store also sells another cut of tuna which is sashimi grade; these cuts are guaranteed to melt in your mouth. The price of this type of tuna can range anywhere from $47 to $55 for a 2 pound package. Canned bluefin tuna can be purchased from this site as well and will cost $60 to $70 for a 24 pack of 6 ounce cans.
- Giovanni’s Fish Market is an online store through which you are guaranteed fresh cuts of bluefin tuna. They do not sell frozen bluefin tuna during the peak season since they would rather sell this type of tuna during the fall. The meat that they sell is from the Pacific bluefin tuna instead of the endangered Atlantic bluefin tuna. The price of the bluefin tuna sold at this site can cost anywhere from $25 to $30 per pound..
What is going to be included?
- The fresh tunas sold in different stores come in different forms. Cuts of fresh tuna are cut to order and then individually vacuum sealed for easy storage. They are also frozen right after cutting to make sure that there is little compromise on the quality.
- If you purchase freshly filleted tuna that has been vacuums sealed, the produce department may also have included a marinade to guarantee a moist and flavorful cut of meat.
- If you buy a bag of frozen tuna fillets, the package should have instructions for thawing and cooking the meat in different ways.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase your tuna through the internet, you will probably have to pay for shipping and handling charges. Buying your fish locally will help you avoid these costs.
Tips to know:
- Make you choose wisely the store from which you purchase your tuna. There are tunas listed as critically endangered which are being sold and abused until the demand for them lowers.
How can I save money?
- To save money, you do not have to buy fresh tuna if it is not available at a low price. Just consider buying canned and other varieties of tuna that will be cheaper. If you want fresh fish, consider a different type rather than tuna that would be cheaper.
- If you are a restaurant owner and need to purchase bluefin tuna in bulk, you will most likely receive a discount. Check into wholesale providers to see what discounts you can get.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.