How Much Does a Boston Terrier Cost?
Boston terriers, also known as Boston Bulls, are compact and well-muscled dogs. This breed of dog is commonly owned as pets as they are known to be gentle, alert, very intelligent, well-mannered and enthusiastic. They are also very easy to train, although they can be quite stubborn sometimes. Most terriers are black, brindle, or seal combined with white.
How much does it cost?
- Breeding a Boston Terrier is known be a little difficult since Caesarean deliveries are usually required due to the puppies strong and square skull. Thus, the prices of the puppies are a bit higher than other puppy breeds. According to Burkesbackyard.com, Boston terrier puppies cost from $500 and go up from there. Most will pay around $500 to $900.
- The puppy finder site PuppyFind.com features Boston terriers puppies aged 5-12 weeks from $500 to $800.
What is going to be included?
- Purchasing Boston terrier dogs is relatively easy since there many breeders can be found throughout the country. Unlike other breeds which need to be pre-ordered and would require a long waiting list, ordering a Boston terrier can be done at some local pet stores. It can also be bought through the internet. You can find reputable puppy finder sites that sell Boston terriers at a fair price.
- Like other breeds of dogs, most breeders will pay the fee for registration and pedigree. In addition, a health guarantee will be provided to you by the breeder. This covers any health issues that may arise early in the dog’s life. These guarantees, however, usually last for a year.
- Most breeders give some important points on raising your Boston terrier. All dogs, including Boston terriers, have different health needs and characteristics. To be familiar with these traits will greatly help you in raising your dogs effectively.
- Most terriers are black, brindle, or seal combined with white.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. If you purchase your dog online, you will be the one to shoulder the expenses for shipping it to your location. Depending on your location and which airline services you use in your area, the payment for shipping your puppy will vary. Plan on budgeting around $250.
- Food. Common dog foods are enough for your Boston terriers.
- Veterinary Care/Grooming. If your dog has not been spayed or neutered yet, you need to take it to the vet to have this done. In addition, the dog will need to visit the vet for regular checkups and vaccinations. Although this breed has short hair that does not need much attention, it will still need to be taken to the groomers for things such as baths, flea dips, nail trimming, etc.
Factors that influence the price:
- Gender of the puppy. Female puppies are priced a bit higher compared to male puppies.
- Location. If you live in an area where there are only a handful of pet shops and dog breeders, you will likely find the price to be a little higher. Also, if you purchase one via internet, the shipping fees will be higher if you are in a far away location.
Tips to know:
- Do not purchase a puppy online if the breeder does not agree in to provide you a health guarantee.
- Be cautious on breeders which charge suspiciously low for Boston terriers. Most of these breeders are fire selling. In addition, the puppies may come from puppy mills.
- As per YourPureBredPuppy.com, most Boston Terriers are mildly stubborn. That is why absolute consistency must be shown by the owners; i.e. you must mean what you say.
- These breeds of dogs are also difficult to house break. Expect four to six months of consistent crate training before they will be familiar with housebreaking.
Questions to ask to the breeders:
- Do you have photos of the parents of the puppies?
- Do you have any references in my area that I can talk to?
- Am I provided with a health guarantee for the dog? Is the price you are asking for the dog inclusive for its health guarantee and registration?
How can I save money?
- Always look for reputable breeders in your area in order to save money on shipping costs. You can save money in purchasing dogs from breeders who have been in the business for years. Since these people know almost everything about dogs, they can give you points on how to take care of your puppy properly.
- If you are up for it, you can opt for adopting an adult Boston terrier. Adoption is done almost for free. You just need to pay for necessary papers and should always include some type of donation. This donation will help the animal shelter continue to help animals in need. By doing so, you are not just saving money but you are able to help a dog in need of a good home.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.