How Much Does a Bowling Ball Cost?
A bowling ball, as the name implies, is a ball that is specifically made for the sport of bowling. Ten-pin bowling balls will have three shaped holes for the ring, middle finger and thumb. The USBC, the regulating body, maintains requirements such as the size, hardness, number of holes and how the balls are maintained.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of the bowling ball will depend on the type of bowling ball, the brand, if it has to be customized and where it’s purchased. Most bowling balls cost from $40 to over $120.
- Low performance plastic balls are known to be a lot cheaper than high-performance ones. At Bowling.com, you can find different types of bowling balls: urethane, reactive resin, particle, and plastic. Most of the prices start at $100 and go as high as $160.
- There are also bowling balls that are priced below a $100, depending on how it is made and the brand. Plastic bowling balls, for example, are sold at BowlingIndex.com for $45 to $140, depending on the design printed on the ball.
What is going to be included?
- Buying a bowling ball is relatively easy. You can visit a bowling pro shop, sports equipment store or an Internet bowling site that offer different types of bowling balls. Depending on what you need, you can choose a material of cover stock for the ball. Your choices include plastic, urethane, reactive resin and particle coverstock bowling balls. Each of these materials has unique traits and creates a distinct feel; each bowler may have a different opinion about which one is better than the others.
- If you are just a beginner, you can opt for the plastic; if you are already a seasoned player that looks for tournament-like performance ball, you can go for particle coverstock bowling balls.
- According to WiseGeek.com, adult sized bowling balls are available in weights of 10 to 16 pounds (2.7 kg to 7.2 kg). The specific weight that you need depends on your upper body and arm strength. Thus, you should choose the one that is appropriate for you. A common trick is to choose a ball that is just under 10 percent of your body weight.
- Once you have selected the ball appropriate for you, you should test the size and angle of the finger holes in the ball to check for the proper fit. It should be that your fingers fit properly and comfortably in the holes.
What are the extra costs?
- Drilling. Some bowlers have their bowling ball holes custom drilled in order to acquire a perfect fit for their fingers. If you want to do the same, you will have to pay extra for it.
- Tote/Grip bag. To easily carry your bowling ball and other equipment into a tournament or a bowling night out, you can place them in a bag or tote. Amazon has a large selection that ranges from $7 to $25 or more. You may also purchase equipment such as bowling shoes, a bowling glove, etc.
- Warranty. Most bowling bowl sellers give a minimum time warranty for the ball. You can double the warranty if you want by paying additional money.
- Shipping fees. If you buy a bowling ball through the internet, you will likely shoulder the shipping expenses unless the online store made it clear at the beginning that it will be shipped to your location for free.
- Design. If you would like to have a custom design on your ball, there will be a charge for this service.
- Maintenance. There are things that you can do to extend the life of your bowling ball. There are towels to wipe off any oils that may be present and there are solutions you can use to clean and shine the ball.
Factors that influence the price:
- As mentioned, the price of the ball depends on its material (whether plastic, particle, urethane or reactive resin), the weight, and the brand, and any extra features you would like to add.
Tips to know:
- When choosing a bowling ball, you must consider how often you will bowl. If you are only playing occasionally, then it would not really make sense to buy a very expensive ball.
- To extend the life of your ball, you must take care of it properly. One of the things you could do is to store it in a bowling ball bag when not in use. This is also great for easy carrying.
How can I save money?
- Buy only the ball that you need. As mentioned, there is no point of buying a very expensive ball if you are just starting to play and if you only bowl occasionally. If you are new to this game, you can opt for less expensive plastic bowling ball first.
- You may be able to find used bowling balls for sale if you look at garage sales or on websites such as Ebay. Although these will not be specifically made for your hands, they will be much cheaper than buying a custom ball.