How Much Does a Box Spring Cost?
A box spring acts as a base for a bed. It is usually made of a wooden frame, covered in cloth, and filled with springs or coils to create a little bounce. If your quality of sleep is diminishing, you should check your mattress and see if it still offers sufficient support. However, the problem may not stop here. Contrary to what most people believe, the comfort of the entire bed is not only determined by the mattress but by the box spring as well. In fact, the two are designed to complement each other. A box spring is very important as it does not only elevate your bed to a height that is more comfortable, but it reduces wear and tear on your mattress.
How much does it cost?
- To give an exact price for box spring is a little hard to do since it varies according to many factors including the size of bed, the manufacturer and the quality. However, the usual price ranges from a $100 to over $300.
- For instance, the Handy Living 32F-Queen Size Frame retails for $190 to $225.
- As mentioned, the size of the bed is a determinant. Smaller beds that require smaller box springs will cost a little less than bigger ones. A Queen Size bed, for example, can cost around $300.
What is going to be included?
- Shopping for a box spring can be a daunting task if you do not know the particulars of what exactly you need. This is the reason that you should always keep in mind the exact measurements of your bed. You should also select the materials that best suit your lifestyle. For an easy way of selecting and buying box spring, Overstock.com has a well-researched guide that can help you choose a box spring.
- You can buy the box spring separately at some furniture stores or directly from the manufacturer. According to WiseGeek.com, you need to spend plenty of time comparing the comfort level of different bed sets. You can even lie down and roll around on the spring to further check its comfort.
What are the extra costs?
- Delivery/Shipping fees. A box spring can be quite large depending on the size of your bed, and it is also not flexible and able to be folded the way a mattress is. Because of this, there will be many cars or even SUVs that cannot hold a box spring. Most people will need to have it delivered to the home. Of course, there will be a charge for this service. In addition, if you purchase a box spring through the internet you will pay for the shipping fees. There will also be a minimum tax fee to be paid as well; this fee will depend on your location.
- Mattress. If you decide to replace your mattress as well, then you will need to purchase a whole brand new set. However, there is no need to purchase a mattress if it is still completely fine. SEE: “How much does a mattress cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- Size of the bed. As mentioned, the size of the bed is a determinant of the box spring price. This means that the bigger the bed, the more you are going to pay for the box spring.
- Manufacturer. As we all know, some reputable mattress manufacturers offer higher prices than the others.
Tips to know:
- As per Overstock.com, you must be careful when transporting mattresses and box springs. Box springs are often considered indestructible, but the wooden frame can crack if abused during moving. This will negatively affect the performance of the mattress set.
- It is known that memory foam mattresses do not require box springs. Using one will affect the performance of the entire bed.
- Whenever you buy a new mattress, it is also advised for you to buy a new box spring. As mentioned, the two are designed to work together. Older box springs may not offer optimum support for your new mattress and may even negate the warranty on the new mattress.
How can I save money?
- Consider purchasing a used but durable box spring. You can even buy one with the mattress included. According to STLbeds.com, the reasonable price to sell or buy a used mattress set (including the box spring) is around $50 to $200. The said price range is based on the average cost to purchase a mattress set which sells new for $500 to $2,000.
- As suggested by an article on eHow.com, look for sales and discounts to be given by some furniture stores. Department stores like JCPenney, Sears and Macy’s are known for having mattress and box spring sales regularly.
- An important note cited by WiseGeek.com is to regard your box spring purchase as an investment. Try not to focus on the price only but on the durability and the quality of the box spring. An expensive and durable box spring will save you money as you can use it for years and years to come.