How Much Does a Built-In Bookcase Cost?
Unlike a traditional bookshelf that sits in a room taking up space, a built-in bookcase is installed within a wall. The cost will depend on the size, the type of wood used, the complexity of the job and contractor if one is being hired.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a professional installation of a built-in bookcase is going to cost anywhere from $2,500 to as much as $8,000. The prices greatly depend on the type of material used, the contractor, and the size of the shelves. Since all jobs are going to be fairly unique, consider using free services such as HomeAdvisor.com to gather multiple quotes in your area.
- If the contractor is going to charge by the linear foot, be prepared to pay around $700 to $1,200 per linear foot.
- For those who want to do it on their own, most will spend around $200 to $700 for the materials. This will include the wood, finish, and necessary tools to complete the job properly.
- Ballarddesigns.com, for example, offers several styles of built-in bookcases with the following prices: A 6-piece Tuscan corner media set retails for $4,700, while a 3-piece Tuscan flush bookcase set retails for $1,600.
- Brooklynbased.net can build a 9-foot wide x 8-foot tall typical wall unit with closed storage and adjustable shelves for around $8,000 to $9,000. If you strip the bookcase down to make it open shelving from floor to ceiling, the average cost will be about $7,000 to $7,500. On the other hand, if you add several storage areas, a number of drawers, and closed upper cabinets, the additional parts would cost around $100 to $200 for each door drawer.
- CustomMade.com lists a handful of built-in bookcase jobs, and these jobs range anywhere from $500 to as much as $7,000.
What is going to be included?
- Built in bookshelves can include a fixed shelf, adjustable shelves, and adjustable levelers. Fixed shelves are necessary to provide stability to not only the bookcase, but the wall itself.
- Premium shelves can be composed of a media console, a media hutch, and a bookcase on both left and right sides. These designs can also hold a television unit.
- Many bookcases have some sections that can be covered with a door.
- Most shelves will be around eight feet tall as a standard. However, taller bookcases, such as those having a height of 8 to 10 feet or even taller, are more complicated to build and install, and they are usually assessed on an individual project basis.
What are the extra costs?
- You are likely to shell out more if you desire additional drawers, doors and other functional items into your bookcase. Additional drawers can cost around $100 to $200 while a door can cost upwards of $500.
- You want to add lighting to the cabinetry, an electrician may be needed.
- You will also spend extra for the installation of glass doors, and/or glass shelves.
- Expect to spend more for a tall and complex bookcase.
- If you want to have the television area prepared for the TV set up, this may be an extra cost.
Factors that influence the price:
- Some built-in bookcases have add-ons, which can significantly affect the prices.
- Aside from the materials, the cost to make a built-in bookcase involves time to build, finish, and install the cabinetry.
- The skills level of the contractor also counts in the pricing scheme. The more experienced the contractor, the higher price he could demand.
- The materials used can greatly affect the cost since different types of wood can cost different amounts.
Tips to know:
- When planning to have a built-in bookcase, consider the things you need to store. If you want it to be child-proof, do not consider glass doors on the lower cabinets.
- Measure the heights of most of the items you want to store in your bookcase. You may need some shelves higher than others.
How can I save money?
- Consider the open shelving type of bookcase. It is the least expensive of the cabinetry options, and it allows you a lot of spaces for whatever you would want to put into the bookcase. However, it can also look very messy if it is not maintained properly and cleaned often.
- Because a built-in bookcase is so expensive, it would be most cost effective to purchase a full wall entertainment center. These can often be measured and made for your exact dimensions but are easy to build and set up. While it will take up more room in your home, the amount of money saved may be worth it. For ideas on bookcases like this, visit Ikea.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.