How Much Does Car Stereo Installation Cost?
Whether you want to upgrade or your current car stereo isn’t working, installing a new one can be done, and as you probably know, the market is flooded with many options.
How much is it?
- The cost of installing a car stereo will depend on the type of stereo, the complexity of the installation job and which professional/company you choose. On average, car stereo installation, without the car stereo, is going to range anywhere from $0 if you purchase directly from a company during a promotion to as much as $300 for an advanced receiver that may require more wiring than usual. Most basic installs, however, will be about $40 to $80.
- For instance, Best Buy’s Geek Squad charges $65 for a car deck installation and another $65 if you need standards speakers installed. This won’t include the hardware.
- Frys Electronics, at the time of this writing, had a free basic installation promotion going on, but when this promotion isn’t going on, the costs are similar to Best Buy.
What is going to be included?
- Standard car stereo installation jobs will include removing the old stereo; connecting the wiring harness and antenna adapter; and installing a mounting kit, allowing the stereo to blend in with the car’s dashboard. If a Bluetooth microphone is needed near the visor, this will be installed at the time as well.
- Most reputable installers will back their work with a limited warranty that may last up to a lifetime. With this warranty, as long as the unit hasn’t been modified, the installer will be able to fix any issue for free.
What are the extra costs?
- If necessary, a separate wiring harness may need to be purchased in order to connect the new stereo to the factory wiring. An antenna adapter may need to be purchased as well, depending on the setup. Oftentimes, the stereo will need a special dashboard kit in order to create a natural look. This will often be a separate charge. All of these parts combined, if needed, should be about $40 to $60 more.
- Companies may charge a small $5 to $10 materials charge.
- Some people often install new speakers with their car stereo. To install car speakers, the costs can be in the $70 to $180 range for the installation job only, but sometimes, the company may cut you a deal if you have the job done all at once. Adding an amplifier can add another $100 to $175 to the job, depending on the setup and the number of channels.
- Installing a Bluetooth microphone near the visor is often done with players that have this functionality. The parts will often be sold separately and the installation price may go up.
How can I save money?
- Larger companies, such as Best Buy, often offer a low cost or even free stereo installation if you purchase the stereo directly from them. It doesn’t hurt to ask the retailer if there are any promotions going on when you make your purchase.
- Purchasing from reputable online retailers like Crutchfield make it easy to do the installation on your own since they provide all of the necessary installation equipment and step-by-step instructions.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.