How Much Does a CDL License Cost?
A CDL, or commercial drivers license, is a type of driver’s license required in the United States for drivers who would like to operate any vehicle that has a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more. Before you get a CDL, you will need to take a state test to become licensed. The price for obtaining a CDL can be different depending on the state where you apply.
How much is it?
- On average, a CDL license can cost anywhere from $8 to as much as $150 for the license alone. There three types of licenses that include a Class A, Class B, and Class C.
- In the state of Connecticut, the price for getting a new issued CDL at $70 to $88 according to the site CT.gov.
- The state of Washington also offers CDL at a different rate. Their site DOL.WA.gov lists the procedure on how to get a CDL as well as the corresponding prices of each test that they offer. The price for obtaining a newly issued CDL can range anywhere from $40 to $100.
- In Oregon, the price for getting a CDL ranges anywhere from $75 to $135. The site also provides additional information about the different rates of exams and other fees that needs to be paid.
- The fees listed on the chart below are for the license only. This will not include any additional fees such as the schooling, skills test, etc.
$23 to $53
$60 to $75
$20 to $55
$16 to $40
$41 to $60
$40 to $60
$23 to $35
$40 to $50
$22 to $45
$8 to $10
$60 to $105
$75 to $90
$10 to $50
$14 to $41
$45 to $65
What are the extra costs?
- One of the many costs involved in getting a CDL is the test that needs to be taken. The price for the exams range from $10 to $100.
- Renewal of the license after its expiration can also cost extra and the price for license renewal ranges anywhere from $25 to $150.
- Out of state applicants that already have a CDL will have to pay a transfer fee.
- A HAZMAT background check is required for those that apply for a license. This background check can cost $50 to $100 depending on state policies.
What is going to be included?
- The fee for getting CDL will include the permit to take the license. The basic tests such as the skills test, vision test and knowledge test will also be included with the payment for obtaining a CDL. Some states may require that additional tests are taken.
- Once the skills and knowledge test is completed, a grade will be issued. Upon successful completion, a CDL license will be issued. This license will enable you to operate a commercial vehicle throughout the United States.
How can I save money?
- Check with local companies to see if training comes included. Many truck driving companies are in desperate need for help and many are more than willing to pay for a majority of the testing and license fees.