How Much Do Corgis Cost?
Corgis are small versatile dogs that can be playful one minute and become fierce watchdogs the next. There are two types of corgis – the Cardigan and Pembroke. Known as “big dogs in a little package,” corgis are primarily trained to herd cattle. They are intelligent, sturdy, alert, and very adaptable to new circumstances. The way that corgis accomplish their excellent herding abilities is by nipping at the heels of the sheep or cattle they are herding.
Corgis usually have a lifespan of 14 to 16 years and are moderately hairy. They are a double-coated dog; the undercoat is short, soft, and thick, while the outer coat is dense, harsh, and medium in length. It is important to brush the dog’s coat daily.
How much does it cost?
- A price of a corgi is going to depend on the class of breed you want. Corgis that are bred by a professional breeder will cost from $100 to as much as $1000. However, if you only want Corgi as a pet and are not concerned with its line, you can get one in the price range of $100 to $500.
- Terrificpets.com posted that the price of the corgi breed to range anywhere from $650 to $950 and up.
- Another pet website, Nextdaypets.com, showed corgi prices around $350 to $950.
- With a Corgi, you have to realize that this is very breed specific, so your results are going to greatly vary. With that being said, be sure to budget anywhere from $300 to as much as $2,000. Generally, the higher the quality is, the more you are most likely going to have to pay.
- Pembrokes are more common than Cardigans and can cost between $350 and $1,000. On the other hand, Cardigans tend to be very rare, hence, the higher price tag. Do not be surprised if you have to pay $1,200 to as much as $2,000 for this particular breed.
What is going to be included?
- There are a few breeds of Corgis that can include a Pembroke Welsh Corgi or a Cardigan Welsh Corgi.
- The average lifespan for this particular breed is up to 15 years.
- Hanging low to the ground, a corgi is known to have shorter legs compared to most other breeds. With a long tail and a variety of colors, most corgis are going to include sable, black, blue and a reddish tint. Usually, they will have a white tint of color in their coat.
- The average weight of a corgi can be anywhere from 30 to 40 pounds, and the average height hovers around 10 to 14 inches.
- Reputable breeders will include up-to-date vaccinations, and a health guarantee that will last up to a year.
What are the extra costs?
- While the dog you purchase will be up to date on its vaccinations when you receive it, these will need to be kept current for the entire life of the dog. This will ensure the dog’s health and safety.
- Because of the nature of a corgi’s coat, you will need to pay for grooming supplies or a grooming service.
- With any dog, do not forget about the routine maintenance that is required throughout the life of the dog such as food, accessories, shelters and vet visits.
- If you do not have a breeder in your area and choose to purchase a corgi from out of state, you will have to pay for shipping. To have a Corgi shipped through an airline, an airline approved dog carrier and ticket will be required. This can cost anywhere from $250 to $400.
Tips to know:
- Corgi’s are fairly easy to train as they are herd dogs by lineage.
- Corgis are very intelligent, active, and playful dogs. They require a lot of exercise and need a chance to get out their energy.
- Noted as alert companions, corgis are affectionate and are very responsible.
- Dog owners that do not plan on showing their Corgi in a dog show should not consider the highest class breed. This route will usually mean the most in terms of cost. If you simply want a family dog and like the corgi breed for its looks or qualities, purchase one on the lower end of the price spectrum.
Questions to ask
- What kind of temperament do corgis have?
- How much grooming does a Corgi need?
- What is the diet for corgis?
- What is the difference between the two types, Cardigan and Pembroke Corgis?
- How long will it take to train a Corgi puppy?
- What would suit me better, a male or female Corgi?
How can I save money?
- The older the dog is, the less you will have to pay to purchase it. While it may not happen very often, consider talking with a local shelter to see if any older corgis have come in. If this is the case, it can cost less than $200.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.