How Much Does it Cost to Solder Rings Together?
Soldering a ring is the process where metal is heated and then melted on a filler metal to bond pieces together. This is a common way to join different jewelry pieces together, especially rings. The most common reason for soldering rings is the join a wedding ring to an engagement ring. In most cases, a woman receives an engagement ring which she wears until the wedding. She then receives a wedding ring the day of the wedding. These two rings usually come in a set that is meant to be soldered together after the wedding has occurred.
How much does it cost?
- On average, the price to solder rings should be between $30 and $70. Soldering two rings together can cost anywhere from $30 to $45, while three rings can cost $55 to $70. The cost will depend on the number of rings that need to be soldered, the geographical location and jeweler performing the job.
- Jewelercam.com, a jewelry store, offers its pricing list online. For example, to solder two rings together, they would charge $40. If three have to be soldered, it will be $70. A break in ring will cost $30.
What is going to be included?
- Soldering rings together includes the process of sizing. The jeweler cuts the ring, removes a section (or adds it) and then solders the ring together to make it smaller or bigger.
- Jewelers may also solder jump rings (these are made of stiff wire formed in loop).
- The process of soldering rings together may include cleaning the rings afterward. This may be done in jewelry stores or shops that provide free soldering to their customers.
- According to the American Welding Society, soldering includes melting a bonding metal at temperatures below 840 degrees Fahrenheit. On the other hand, brazing is done at temperatures that are above 840 degrees Fahrenheit.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be charged for cleaning the ring after soldering.
- Delivery or shipping costs may also be charged to clients, especially those in far locations, or those who cannot personally claim the rings where they had them soldered together. Check out your local jewelry store for more details regarding the services they offer for soldering rings together.
Factors that influence the price:
- Metal. The material from which the ring is made will be a large determining factor of the cost. Rings are commonly gold, silver, white gold, or platinum. Silver will usually be the cheapest, while platinum will be the most expensive.
- Size. The larger the ring, the more time and material it will take to solder the rings together. While this may seem like a small difference, it can greatly affect the cost.
- Jeweler. The experience and reputation of the jeweler allows him to charge higher for the services.
Tips to know:
- You can actually use sandpaper and a file to remove an old solder on the ring. You can smooth rough edges using these items until the ring will fit your finger.
- Check out various sources online for tips on how you can repair rings on your own. Otherwise, you have the option to have your rings soldered together. You can visit ehow.com, for example, to find out how to repair a gold ring.
- Soldering actually is not a popular option. Think twice before even considering the procedure.
How can I save money?
- Try to ask around or research online for the best price before having your rings soldered together. This way, you can find the best deal and save money.
- Ask the jewelry store where you bought your rings or jewelry if they provide free soldering services.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.