How Much Does it Cost to Widen a Driveway?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Homeowners often widen their driveway for a variety of reasons. This can include storing more vehicles, a new RV or to simply create more room. If your current driveway doesn’t provide enough room, you may be considering widening it.
How much is it?
- The cost to widen a driveway depends on a lot of factors. Since there are different kinds of materials that you can use for a driveway, the cost can be different depending on the type of materials that will be used. The most common materials used are asphalt and concrete, and asphalt is the cheapest between the two. The size of the driveway will also determine the total cost of the project since more materials will be used.
- On average, plan on spending anywhere between $5 to $20 per square foot to widen a driveway with concrete. To widen a driveway with bricks or stamped concrete, the price could be as high as $150 per square foot.
- BuildingJournal.com offers a calculator which can calculate the total cost per square foot of the project. If you are located in Long Beach, California, for example, you can expect to pay anywhere from $118 to $204 per square foot for a paved and brick surfaced driveway.
- According to the website PaverSearch.com, driveways can be widened for $15 to $100 per square feet depending on the material.
What is going to be included?
- If you are going to hire a contractor to widen your driveway, he or she will come to your home to assess the project and then give you an estimate of the final price. This price should include the materials and labor so that there are no surprise costs to you in the end.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involved when you have your driveway widened would depend on what the contractors offer. There are contractors that offer only labor, while others offer both labor and materials.
- If you plan to do the widening yourself, expect to pay for the materials that will be used for the project.
- You will need to obtain a building permit from your local government office for the construction. The price and necessity of this will depend on your location.
Tips to know:
- Consider the situation that is motivating you to widen your driveway. Not having enough space in which to maneuver your vehicles is a great reason to do this.
How can I save money?
- If you are set on hiring someone to widen the driveway, use services such as ServiceMagic.com to find the lowest quotes in your area.
- Like several home improvement projects, you can widen the driveway by yourself. You simply need the appropriate materials and equipment to finish the project. There are several instructional guides that you can find online to help you complete this project. By doing the widening yourself, you will be able to save money on high labor costs, which make up for the majority of the total cost of the project.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.