How Much Does a Covered Deck Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Covering a deck is a great way to increase the value of your home and allow you to use it regardless of the weather conditions.
How much does it cost?
- The costs for installing a covered deck will depend on many factors. The will include the size of the deck and the types of materials to be used. When it comes to projects like this, the sky is the limit on how much you can spend. However, expect to spend at least $4,000. Keep in mind this is the price to cover the deck, not to build the entire deck. To find out what an entire deck costs, SEE: “How much does a deck cost?“
- Preview Construction Inc. stated that the price range in building a covered deck costs around $3,000 to $8,000. This estimation is good for a wood deck and includes the materials and the labor.
- Another way of having a covered deck is to opt for screened-in decks. The home design website Homewyse.com gives the average installed costs for screened in decks according to your location. The basic costs run from $5.94 to $7.87 per square foot. The specific prices vary according to the quality. A 200 square foot deck, for example, could cost $1,471 – $1,679 for the best quality deck and around $1,068 to $1,506 for a lower quality one. These prices are all inclusive to the materials and the installation costs already.
- As for wood decking installation, Homewyse.com also gives the average cost per square foot. This runs around $4 to $8 per square foot.
What is going to be included?
- Covered deck installation cost estimates typically require an onsite inspection from the company you have chosen. Usually the estimates are free, especially if you commit that you will be working with the company for the entire project. However, you may need to hear a good sales pitch before sealing a deal. The estimates usually include the typical costs for all materials of construction, mounting hardware, layout, design, fabrication and assembly.
- Once you and the company agree on the costs and the manner of installation, they will immediately start the installation according to your convenience. The installation may also depend on the weather and time of year.
- It usually takes several weeks, or in some cases several months to custom-build a covered deck. This usually depends on how prepared your planning of the whole endeavor is.
What are the extra costs?
- Labor/Installation. Like any other home projects, installing a deck requires carpentry, electrical and other labor jobs. For sure, you can do this on your own and save money. However, if you hire a contractor to do it, expect to pay for the labor costs. It usually starts at about $20 per hour, depending on the location. To find a qualified contractor in your area, consider using services such as ServiceMagic.com.
- Customization. If you wish to customize your deck and put some sophisticated designs on it, expect to pay more. If it still fits your budget, you can place additional features such as windows, doors, insulation, finish-grade flooring, wall coverings and electrical fixtures. Basically, more detailed and complex design with higher quality and more weather resistant materials of construction will cost more.
- Permits. Depending on the city in which you live, you will probably need to pull building permits with the city. These costs will vary depending on your location as well as the length of the project.
Factors that influence the price:
- Materials used. As mentioned, one of the greatest determinants for the costs of a covered deck is the type of materials to be used. Wood, for example, has many types which vary in prices per linear feet. Not to mention that prices for steel frames and other materials vary as well.
- Labor. Although labor is a fixed variable that must be considered, one must bear in mind that the labor costs vary largely from one place to another.
- Location. As per Homewyse.com, the installation costs will approach the high end of the range in or near major metropolitan areas.
Tips to know:
- Always use a checklist to make sure your project is completed with proper installation techniques and materials. This will save you time as well money.
- Do not compromise quality over affordability. Always hire a reputable contractor that offers a reasonable price to do the job.
- If you partake in the installation of the deck, make sure to use appropriate safety gear when working with tools and machinery.
- As suggested by professionals, you can avoid costly problems and can get quality work at a fair price by hiring a licensed and bonded carpenter to do the project.
How can I save money?
- One can save money on installation costs by being flexible on project scheduling. You can schedule your project during slow periods for the installer.
- Always look for multiple vendors to bid on the same, complete description of the covered deck project that you want to have.
- If you are getting a deck installed, try to get it covered at the same time. If you pay for the deck and then pay for covering the deck years later, you will end up spending more than if you did them at the same time.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.