How Much Does Cream Cheese Cost?
Cream cheese is a soft, mild-tasting fresh cheese that has a high fat content. It’s used on bagels, crackers and as a dip mix for popular snacks.
How much does it cost?
- Commonly, cream cheese is sold in an 8-ounce package, which can either be in a tub or as a brick. The cost for this cream cheese is around $0.99 to $2.50. The price depends on the brand, quantity and where you purchase it from.
- Per pound, cream cheese can be anywhere from $3 to$4.50 depending on the brand.
What is going to be included?
- Cream cheese is sold in different forms. Found in most grocery stores, bakeries and bagel shops, cream cheeses can be bought as traditional “brick” style as well as tubs of soft or whipped cream cheese. Inclusions you get will basically depend on the type of cheese you buy.
- Regardless of the brand, most cream cheese has been given stabilizers in order to provide some firmness on the product.
- Depending on the brand and packaging, you may be given some recipes or tips for use.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. If you opt to buy online, you should be prepared to pay for shipping charges. However, because this is a perishable product and can easily be found in any local store, purchasing online should be avoided.
- Other Ingredients. Whatever the purpose of your cream cheese purchase, you are most likely going to need other ingredients. This will need to be purchased separately.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand name. As mentioned, the price of cream cheese is determined by the brand. Some famous brands which already made a name in the industry over the years are maybe priced higher than those store brand and generic cream cheese sold at groceries.
- Location. If you are located in a place that has only one or two stores, then you should expect to find cream cheese that is priced a lot higher than usual. The more competition there is in the area, the lower the prices will be on a product such as this.
Tips to know:
- Cream cheese should be refrigerated always to ensure that it will last longer. There will be an expiration date on each package which should be observed in order to avoid the product from becoming spoiled.
- Less expensive brands often add stabilizers like guar gum to get the necessary firmness, because the high fat content of the milk products is prone to separating.
- There are literally hundreds of different recipes that incorporate cream cheese. This includes cheese cake, frosting, dips and spreads, and omelets. Not to mention that cream cheese can be used in alternating layers with pesto and sundried tomatoes or as the bottom layer for raspberry Jell-O.
- Although it is dairy by nature, cream cheese has low protein content in contrast to hard cheeses. As per Wisegeek.com, a one-ounce (28 g) serving only has 1 gram of protein. In addition, most traditional cream cheese can also be quite high in saturated fat, containing as much as 40% fat.
How can I save money?
- Aside from opting for membership stores which will let you choose among the many discounted items, you can use coupons for dairy items. This will ultimately decrease your expenses. If you watch for times when there is a sale on the product and you have a coupon, you will be able to purchase cream cheese for quite cheap. If there are no coupons available, purchase the store brand instead.