How Much Does a Dialysis Machine Cost?
A dialysis machine is usually purchased by hospitals or clinics and not by the patient. However, there are at-home dialysis machines for those who are unable to leave the house.
How much is it?
- A basic dialysis machine can be purchased in the regions of $15,000; however, this does not include any necessary supplies such as a drip. For example, a NxStage kidney dialysis machine purchased with supplies can cost upwards of $45,000. This does not include the costs of running the machine. These are the prices for those who wouldn’t have insurance.
What is going to be included?
- As stated above, a dialysis machine removes waste from the body when the kidneys can no longer do so. Without a dialysis machine, those who suffer from serious kidneys problems would most certainly not survive for long, which is why it is a very important procedure to undergo when the kidneys can no longer support themselves.
- Dialysis machines work by implementing diffusion and ultra filtration into the body. A very thin material called a membrane allows blood and fluid to pass through it. The machine allows the blood to flow through to the other side of the membrane, and the dialysate flows in the opposite direction. The dialyse fluid has various chemicals in it, and the exact amount is decided by a doctor. This will be determined by your condition, weight, and other factors. When the dialysate and blood mix together, the waste is removed from the blood and trapped in the thin membrane, and thus flushed from the body.
- Depending on the features included in the model, a typical dialysis machine includes saline solution, two tubs for waste, dialysate fluid, a blood pump, and a dialyser.
What are the extra costs?
- If the dialysis is used for home use, then it is important to consider the costs of electricity. Your bill may increase by a substantial amount if you are planning on using the dialysis machine frequently.
- It is also important to consider the cost of supplies such as the saline solution and dialyse fluid.
- The biggest cost to think about is to run the dialysis machine. Even if this machine is used at home, a trained individual will be needed to run it, supervise the machine and the patient.
Tips to know:
- Before purchasing a home dialysis machine, ensure that it will be cost effective. If the cost of your health insurance covering the use of the dialysis machine will be more expensive than purchasing one for yourself, then it may be a worthwhile investment. However, if this is not the case, then you may want to consider buying one. Also, be sure that you have the professional support to operate the machine.
- Although dialysis can be done at home, it is always safer to have it done at a clinic or hospital where there are nurses and doctors standing by.
- Some insurance companies will not cover the cost of a dialysis machine since they prefer you go to a clinic to have it done.
How can I save money?
- To conclude, home kidney dialysis can be a very cost-effective way of dealing with kidney problems. It allows for you to spend more time with your family and minimizes constant hospital trips. Just ensure that it is definitely the best option for you, as it may work out to be more expensive in the long run.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.