How Much Does a Double Wide Trailer Cost?
A double wide trailer is one of the most popular types of mobile home. Single wide trailers are 18 feet wide on average, while a double wide trailer is at least 20 feet or more. The cost of a double wide trailer is going to be a lot like pricing a home that is going to be built. It will depend on the manufacturer, the features included and condition.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a brand new double wide trailer can vary anywhere from as little as $40,000 to as much as $125,000. On the other hand, used double wide trailers can be significantly less.
- According to Solitairehomes.com, a trailer costs around $70,000 to $120,000 depending on the size and specifications.
- On Hoobly.com, a double wide trailer costs around $45,900 to $119,900. For example, a furnished double-wide mobile home with two bedrooms and bath can cost $45,900, while another double wide home with land can sell for $106,900. A four bedroom with bath double wide trailer costs $119,900.
What is going to be included?
- The double wide trailer can be sold in a few different levels. Some come fully furnished while others come empty and ready to be decorated. Some trailers are sold while already set up on land, whereas others are sold from the factory and then moved to the home site. The inclusions for your purchase will be determined by how much you are willing to pay.
- A double wide trailer is basically made in a factory, built with a permanent chassis with wheels and tires. They can come in various colors, styles, and features or specifications. Just like a regular home, you can paint, side, landscape, and renovate them as needed.
- Double wide trailers are usually 20 feet or more in terms of width and 90 feet or less in length. They are towed to the site as two separate units which can be attached once they arrive.
- Average double wide trailers can range anywhere from 1200 to as much as 2500 square feet.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase a double wide trailer from a previous owner, the process will be similar to that of buying a house. There may be extra fees such as a home inspection and closing costs.
- Some sellers of double wide trailers may exclude the shipping or delivery costs from the selling price. Ask the seller beforehand regarding the charges for shipping or delivery especially when you purchase a trailer online or from other states.
- Extra costs may also be incurred for adding furniture such as tables, cushions, beds, and chairs on the double wide trailer especially if it is not fully furnished.
- You will also be spending extra money for maintenance costs such as tune ups and repairs to ensure that your double wide trailer stays in good condition.
- Do not forget property tax, or if you are going to place the trailer within a mobile home, monthly maintenance fees will apply. These fees will largely vary depending on the geographical location and mobile home park.
- Like a house, home insurance will be necessary.
- If any sort of plumbing and/or electrical has to be hooked up outside of the lot, additional fees may apply.
- If you are having a double wide built just for you, customizations can cost extra depending on what you request.
Tips to know
- Canvass prices of double wide trailers from various sources or sellers. You can use the internet to check out their prices or visit sellers within your vicinity. This will help you compare prices and quality.
- Ask the seller what financial payment options are provided to clients like you. Some companies offer payment options (such as payment on installment basis) that would best fit their client’s needs.
- Make sure you choose a reliable and experienced company when having your trailer moved. If it is not moved correctly, it can result in damage to the trailer.
How can I save money?
- You can save on out of pocket expenses by taking advantage of a payment option for your double wide trailer. If going the finance route, just make sure that you understand your financing and interest rate options.
- You can also save a lot of money by purchasing a slightly used or second hand double wide trailer. Just make sure that it is still in good condition.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.