How Much Does a Dungeness Crab Cost?
The Dungeness crab can usually be found on the west coast of North America in the chilly Pacific Ocean waters. While in season, which usually runs from early December to the spring, most people who purchase this crab often find themselves boiling them.
How much does it cost?
- The costs will depend on the state, size, quantity, time of year and the company selling. On average, be prepared to pay anywhere from $4 to as much as $9 per pound for a Dungeness crab.
- For those who want the meat already processed, the costs can be around $22 to $30 per pound.
- Many grocery stores allow you to purchase the crab legs rather than the whole crab. Crab legs can cost $5 to $10 per pound.
- According to chowhound.chow.com, Dungeness crabs can cost around $3.99 to $4.39 per pound. Some stores also sell it at around $8 per pound. Others sell a standard sized Dungeness crab at $4.49 and a large sized one at $4.99 per pound.
- On the other hand, according to blogs.kqed.org, Dungeness crabs cost around $3 per pound. Some grocery stores sell them at $5.99 to $8.99 per pound.
- According to sfgate.com, crab fishermen will get $3 a pound, meaning that the retail market price will be a little more than $6 per pound according to distributors.
What is going to be included?
- The Dungeness crab, or Metacarcinus magister, is a species of crab that inhabits eelgrass beds and water bottoms on the west coast of North America. Its name originates from the port of Dungeness, Washington.
- The Dungeness crab grows up to 7.9 inches or as much as 9.8 inches across the carapace. It has a wide, long, hard shell, which periodically moults to grow. It also has five pairs of legs and is considered as a popular delicacy particularly in western states.
- Most people enjoy their crab meat dipped in butter. It can also be used in other dishes, such as crab salad.
- The average Dungeness crab will contain 30% of its total weight as meat.
- The Dungeness crab also includes the following life cycle: (1) Mature females moult between May and August and mating occurs after the female has moulted and before the new exoskeleton hardens, (2) Males locate the females because of the latter’s pheromones, and (3) Young crabs are produced which go through five larval stages before reaching maturity after about 10 moults or two years.
- The cost of Dungeness crabs may include the harvesting, packaging, handling, shipping, and delivery costs. Some breeders may include the cost of shipping or delivery on the selling price.
- Restaurants that sell crab leg dinners usually include a salad and a side with your purchase.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be incurred for packaging, handling, shipping or delivery of the Dungeness crabs especially when you buy them from online stores or from other regions. Just ask the seller or breeder regarding the terms and conditions involved.
- If you are going to cook the crab yourself, you will need a fairly large pan to do so.
- When eating crab, the shells and legs can be hard to open and eat. There are tools made specifically for this purpose. There are handheld utensils used to crack the shells, and there are very small forks that can be used to scrape out the meat.
Tips to know
- The crab season will last from December to August. These types of crabs are not harvested during the fall since the shells tend to be softer and there is not as much meat inside.
- Commercial fishermen are only able to keep the larger males. By doing so, this can keep the supply high each year.
- Learn various ways on how to cook or prepare the Dungeness crab so that you will be able to enjoy a wide range of options. The best time to cook them is generally within hours of their death.
- An ideal way to prepare is by boiling in water for up to 15-20 minutes. After being boiled, it is ideal to cool them in water to allow the inside to cool down.
- Crab can only last up to six days after being caught.
How can I save money?
- Some stores provide discounts when you purchase in bulk.
- Buy the Dungeness crab from sellers who offer free delivery of shipping so that you can save money.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.