How Much Does Exhaust Pipe Repair Cost?
The exhaust pipe is something easily recognizable on a vehicle – it is the pipe that normally sticks out the rear of the car. This exhaust pipe is responsible for getting rid of exhaust gases that result from the engine running.
If the exhaust pipe is malfunctioning, there will be a few things that will more than likely happen. First, the car will make loud pops and can just be louder in general. Second and most importantly, the exhaust from an engine contains carbon monoxide. If this gas is leaking into your car as a result of a broken exhaust pipe, the results can be deadly. Because of this, it is vital to find a service provider that can effectively repair a problematic exhaust pipe before the damage worsens and causes further issues.
How much does it cost?
- For the materials alone, exhaust pipe repair kits are going to cost anywhere from as little as $5 to as much as $150. This will not include the professional labor costs.
- To throw in the labor, you should not have to spend any more than $350 for exhaust pipe repair.
- Amazon.com, for example, offers a range of exhaust pipe repair kits and their corresponding prices:
- Custom Accessories 29103 Exhaust Pipe Repair Kit – $4.99
- Versachem 90100 Exhaust/Tail Pipe Repair Kit – $7.29
- Permatex 80334 1000 Degree Plus Exhaust Repair Kit – $5.46
- DEI 010330 Motorcycle Exhaust Pipe Wrap Kit – $56.02
- At Autopartswarehouse.com, replacement exhaust pipes cost $17 to $151 depending on the brand.
What is going to be included?
- The exhaust pipe connects all parts of the exhaust system, which includes the following: exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, resonator, muffler, and tail pipe. All the discharges collected by the manifold are routed through the exhaust pipe. When repairing an exhaust pipe, an auto technician or muffler expert performs a full exhaust inspection to assess the extent of the damage and determine the best way to fix it, which can be through repair or replacement.
- If you purchase a replacement exhaust pipe and plan to fix it yourself, the kit will include the pipe, all the hardware needed to attach it, and possibly instructions.
- If you choose to take your car to a repair shop, the mechanic will provide the part and perform the repair.
What are the extra costs?
- Vehicle owners who choose to repair the exhaust system themselves will need to purchase the proper tools and kits including an exhaust repair kit, a muffler-cast bandage kit, or a muffler/tailpipe repair tape, depending on their needs.
- The prices noted above are for the exhaust pipe only. If other parts are in need of repair such as the muffler, converter, etc, the price for labor can significantly go up. If the exhaust system is damaged beyond the O2 sensor, the whole thing may need to be replaced.
Factors that influence the price:
- Labor charges. Repair labor is usually calculated by actual hours spent on the exhaust pipe repair, referring to an industry-approved labor time reference. It can also be priced as a package that includes labor and parts.
- Location. The rates for exhaust pipe repair services vary from one location to another. Vehicle owners need to check with their local shops to find out the specific rates offered for the service.
- Extent of repair. The damage on an exhaust pipe can be a slight or considerable. The technician or mechanic will need to evaluate the damage before he can determine a good estimate of the overall amount of the repair job. Generally, the worse the damage, the more it will cost.
Tips to know:
- Check with the auto shop to see if they provide high quality parts backed by a manufacturer’s warranty.
- Make sure that the auto technicians are certified and qualified to handle the repair jobs. Having highly skilled people work on your vehicle can lower your auto repair costs.
- Check the warranty offered by the shop. Some offer repair services covered by a comprehensive parts and labor warranty good for 2 years or 24,000 miles, excluding maintenance components.
How can I save money?
- Take advantage of coupons offering special deals and discounts on exhaust system services.
- Find auto shops that offer free inspection and provide an accurate estimate of the potential costs of getting the exhaust system repaired. Doing so gives you an option to find the most affordable offer available.
- Many shops offer weekly specials on any service performed on given days, with some providing discounts of up to 15% on parts and labor on minimum purchase.