How Much Does Filet Mignon Cost?
Tenderloin is the most popular beef cut since it is naturally tender. These are the most expensive parts of the beef since the average steer will only have up to six pounds of this part of beef. Tenderloin is a thick strip of meat, and at the smaller end of it is the filet mignon. Filet mignon is even more expensive due to the fact that only a small piece of the meat can be obtained from each steer.
How much is it?
- The cost of filet mignon will depend on the cow breed, where it came from, the size of the cut and where it’s sold. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $16 to as much as $30 per pound at your local grocery store.
- If you want to purchase filet mignon online, prices can greatly vary depending upon the merchant through which it is purchased. For example, OmahaSteaks.com sells different steak cuts at different prices. They have two varieties of filet mignon sold on their website. They have a six pack of 6-ounce filet mignon cuts, which can cost you anywhere from $80 to $105 per pack. They also have a package that includes four 6-ounces filet mignon with an ounce of Napa Cabernet glaze, which can cost $50 to $95.
- FiletMignon.com is another online website that sells different types of filet mignon. They sell USDA prime beef bone-in and boneless filet mignon steaks. For the regular filet mignon steaks, they offer 4 to 8 pieces of 8 oz filet mignon for $70 to $140, while bone-in packs include 2 to 4 pieces of 8 oz bone in filet mignon for $50 to $100.
What is going to be included?
- Steak cuts must be inspected by the United States Department of Agriculture and should pass its standards to ensure that the meat consumed is safe and of the highest quality possible. Some of the filet mignon cuts are even aged naturally to become more tender.
What are the extra costs?
- Filet mignon can be purchased and grilled right away. There are no added costs when you buy this type of meat unless you want to pair it up with a bottle of wine and serve it with other components such as vegetables and sauce.
Tips to know:
- Filet mignon does not contain a lot of fat and you may need to make certain adjustments when cooking this type of meat since it can become dry. Filet mignons can be wrapped in bacon which can supply the fat or you can brush it with olive oil.
- When cooking filet mignon, the usual way to cook them is by applying high heat through grilling or broiling. After searing each side of the steak, you can transfer it to low heat so that the inside will cook to the doneness desired without burning the surface of the meat.
How can I save money?
- There are other steak cuts that you can purchase which can serve the same satisfaction as does filet mignon. Short loin of a beef provides bigger yield and from this cut comes the T-bone and porterhouse. Both of these steak cuts are considerably cheaper than filet mignon.
- Prime breeds of cattle are more expensive than the normal ones. The meat that they offer is priced higher and can even cost 2 to 4 times the cost of regular meat. If you will have steak for dinner, just have the usual cuts of beef from regular cattle rather than buying the more expensive variety.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.