How Much Does Gruyere Cheese Cost?
Gruyere Cheese is a hard yellow Alpine cheese that was named after its place of origin in Switzerland. It is commonly labeled as the true Swiss Cheese. Gruyere cheese is made of cow’s milk and usually used as a table cheese and simply melted to pair with sandwiches or baked potatoes. Gruyere is usually produced in wheels but are often sold in slices or wedges as well.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a pound of Gruyere cheese is going to range anywhere from $14 to $19. The costs will depend on where you purchase it, the age and the quantity.
- Cheesehouse.com sells Gruyere cheese for $20 per pound.
- On the other hand, Mandifoods.com sells Gruyere cheese for $5 per 8 ounces, which works out to $10 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Gruyere cheese that comes in wheels can either be in a while wheel or in a piece of the wheel, known as a wedge. Most Gruyere cheese wheels weigh somewhere around 16 pounds, but there are others that reach up to 80 pounds. These are often used in gourmet kitchens. This type of cheese has good shelf-life, so it is good to purchase it in large amounts as it does not get spoiled easily.
- Because it would be too expensive to get an entire wheel, most cheese stores sell Gruyere cheese in small slices. It can also come in wedges, which are sold by the pound just like the whole wheel.
- Even smaller slices of Gruyere cheese are also available for retail. They usually come in 8 ounce slices, which is very practical for those who only need the cheese in small amounts.
What are the extra costs?
- Gruyere cheese can be bought from the supermarket. You can simply go by the store and pick some cheese. However, if you want to have the cheese shipped to you, you may need to pay for additional cost for the delivery.
- If you purchase the Gruyere cheese on a wheel or a wedge, you are going to need a cheese slicer.
Factors that influence the price
- Age of the Gruyere Cheese. It is reported that Gruyere cheese that is new will taste sweet but slightly salty. As it begins to age, it can taste creamy and nutty. With age, however, the cheese will be earthy and will also develop cracks and a grainy texture. Basically, the older the Gruyere cheese is, the better it is. Age makes the quality of this type of cheese, and if it is aged perfectly, its price can go relatively high.
- Source. Authentic Gruyere cheeses are mostly sourced from Switzerland where the cheese originated. Once these cheeses are imported, the price will definitely increase. Gruyere cheese that is manufactured in the United States will be much cheaper than authentic Swiss cheese.
Tips to know:
- If you want to get top quality Gruyere cheese, choose the ones that are at their best age. You can ask the retailers about its age or it may be labeled on the pack.
- Gruyere cheese is especially good for baking. Because it can be easily melted, it is also commonly used in fondues. This cheese can also be grated and sprinkled on top of pasta or salad.
- You can have the best Gruyere cheese shipped right to your doorstep. The best Gruyere cheese can come from overseas, but it can be delivered to you. By ordering online, you are also cutting out the middle man; this means that the prices could be slightly cheaper.
- If you only need the Gruyere cheese in small amounts, simply buy slices or wedges, just enough for your consumption. However, if you are a large Gruyere cheese consumer, you can get large cheese wheels and stock them at home. Gruyere cheese, like most aged cheese can last for quite some time.
How can I save money?
- If you need large amount of Gruyere cheese, it would be best to get a whole wheel so you will not have to go out and get packs every now and then. However, if you only need the cheese for small amounts then it is rather practical to get a slice or a wedge.
- It would also be helpful to watch for discounted rates of Gruyere cheese. Many local stores online and at grocery stores can often have sales you can take advantage of.
- If you only want to try out different cheese including Gruyere cheese, then you may choose a package of assorted cheeses. This way, you will not have to buy large packs of cheese and find out you do not like it and wasted your money.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.