How Much Does HEB Charge to Cash a Check?
The supermarket chain HEB is the 25th largest grocery retailer in America and it has a total of 350 stores in Mexico and Texas. Customers can cash their checks at any HEB branch during banking hours.
How much is it?
- HEB charges a $2 fee for each personal check that is cashed. If the check is up to $3,000, there will be a $3 fee. For checks that are between $3,000 and $5,000, a 1% fee will be assessed. Checks that are between $5,000 and $9,000 will be assessed a 2% fee. So for example, a $6,000 check will be charged a $120 fee.
- According to AskMeFast.com, HEB will charge a $2 fee for checks that are up to $200.
What is going to be included?
- HEB can only cash a personal check that is up to $200, and then you have to wait at least two days before they can let you cash another check. This is due to the checking process that they do regarding the license number of the customer to make sure that the check would not bounce.
- HEB will require that you have a valid photo I.D. in order to cash your check.
- The stores will only cash personal, payroll, and government issued checks.
What are the extra costs?
- There are no other extra costs, but if you have other concerns regarding the HEB cash check system, you can call their hotline number for assistance.
- However, if your check is added to a debit card, credit card fees may apply. If you were to purchase a reloadable debit card to deposit the check that you cashed at Kroger, you might have to pay deposit fees. You also might have to pay maintenance fees if you choose to put that money on a debit card.
- Bank Account. Instead of having to hassle with cashing checks at Kroger, try to open your own bank account. This is usually free to do as long as you keep a minimum amount in the account. You can cash any type of check in any amount when you have a bank account.
- Issuing Bank. If you were written a personal check and cannot find a service that will cash it for you, you can go to the issuing bank and get it cashed. Look at the check for the bank information. Since the bank can check the check writer’s account and verify his signature, they can make sure that it is a valid check and that there are enough funds to cover the written amount.
Tips to know:
- Call up the local store to see what the restrictions are when it comes to cashing your check. This is going to save you time from going to the store.
- HEB is not available in every state of the United States; therefore, not everyone can take advantage of the cash checking services. Some people might have to find a different store in their area to cash their payroll checks. However, if people can cash their checks, they will be able to do it for less money than it would cost at other places.
- There are some places that offer a machine or even an app that allows you to cash a check very conveniently. This may not help you avoid fees, but it will help you get the check cashed quickly.
How can I save money?
- If you are set on using a store to cash your check, see what other stores in the area will charge.
- If you budget your money correctly, you might not need your money the same day you receive your paycheck. If you do this, you could deposit your check in your bank and wait a couple of days to withdraw the money if you need it. This could save you at least $6 per month if you receive a payment every two weeks. That may not seem like much, but that equals $72 per year.
- If you can do it, consider opening up a bank account to get your checks cashed for free.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.