How Much Do Hot Air Balloon Rides Cost?
A hot air balloon ride can be an exhilarating experience for anyone who gets the opportunity. Hot air balloons are among the oldest flying vehicles and are operated on the principle that warm air rises in cooler air. The air inside the balloon is heated by a large propane flame, which is what allows the balloon to rise into the sky. Suspended below this balloon is a basket usually made out of wicker that can hold passengers during flight. Because they are not able to be steered and they only travel as fast as the wind blows, hot air balloons are used more often for recreational use.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a hot air balloon ride is going to cost anywhere from $75 to as much as $275 per person. Most rides in this price range will last about an hour.
- According to ArizonaBallooning.com, hot air balloon rides cost $195 per adult and $145 per child. Their exclusive charter flights perfect for family and friends cost $750 for 2 passengers ($375 per person), $1300 for 4 passengers ($325 per person), $1650 for 6 passengers ($275 per person) and $1800 for 8 passengers ($225 per person).
- Bucks County Hot Air Balloon Rides cost $75 per person, $150 per couple.
What is going to be included?
- Before riding a balloon, you have to ensure your safety. You need to be briefed well before riding so that you know what to expect. Some balloon rides give a short orientation for their passengers. They give instructions about what to do during take off and landing and give a few rules which need to be followed.
- Typical rides are going to last one hour or so. This can greatly depend upon the weather, especially the wind.
- Many companies have special rides of which you can take advantage. For instance, HotAirFun.com has a wide range of rides from which you can choose. Some include sunset views, budget rides, and private sunrise rides.
- Most companies will allow you take a camera with you to take pictures of you and your family as well as the scenery.
What are the extra costs?
- Some companies can pick you up at a designated location ahead of time. Depending on the distance, this can cost an additional $15 to $40.
- Be aware of sales tax and additional fees. Some companies are not up front about this.
- Many companies may include additional add-ons that include lunch, champagne, pictures, etc. These add-ons will depend on your personal preferences.
- Many people who go on a hot air balloon ride choose to tip their pilot.
Factors that influence the price:
- Duration of ride. Hot air balloon rides get more expensive when you stay longer. If you do it for more than what is traditionally offered, then you probably will pay more.
- Area coverage. The wider the area where the balloon flies, the more you will be paying for the ride.
- Season. The price of hot air balloon rides varies in regards to the present season of a certain place where the balloon roams. The price might be more expensive during the warmer months since these rides tend to be more in demand during this time.
Tips to know:
- Always think about your safety. Check and be aware whether the balloon rides you were riding have a pilot that really knows how to fly the balloon and have some legal papers to operate.
- Pay attention when the passenger orientation is discussed so that if you will face some troubles, you know what to do and will not be frightened.
- While younger children can fly, it is recommended that children under the age of five stay home. Some have strict rules where children under a certain age cannot fly at all.
- Get the exact quote in writing before you fly. As mentioned in the extra costs, some companies may charge unnecessary fees.
- Hot air balloon rides can only occur during certain weather patterns. If there is no wind or the wind is too strong, your hot air balloon ride may have to be rescheduled. Any kind of rain or storm can also pose a problem, as can fog.
How can I save money?
- Hot air balloon rides offer some exclusive and discounted ballooning if you have your family or friends with you. Generally, the more people that you bring, the less you are going to pay per person.
- With so many companies in your area, there is a good chance that some are offering either a special promotion or even coupons. Check their websites to see what they have to offer.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.