How Much Does Hot Mix Asphalt Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Hot mix asphalt, sometimes referred to as asphalt concrete, is the material used in construction to complete the paving of roads, airports, and parking lots. Asphalt results in a smooth texture on the surface and is considered to be very useful because it can fill pot holes or cracks in rough roads. Asphalt is used around the world because it offers a strong foundation on the surface and is much cheaper than concrete.
How much does it cost?
- According to eHow.com, the price of the asphalt is between $85 and $150 per ton. The cost varies depending on the current price of oil.
- At Aestone.com, standard mixes of hot mix asphalt cost $52 – $60 per ton. Specialty mixes can cost upwards of $75.
- According to Gracepacificcorp.com, asphalt concrete can cost more or less $110.
- Depending on the quality that you want, it is best to budget anywhere from $50 to $150 per ton.
What is going to be included?
- If you are going to apply hot mix asphalt, you have to measure the length and width of the area you want to be paved and decide how thick you want the asphalt to be. You will then need to calculate its area as well as the volume of asphalt that will be used. When paving, you will need a help from a person who is an expert in paving if you are not knowledgeable about it.
- Types of hot mix asphalt can include a cold mix, slate mix, asphalt treated base, recycled base, and emulsified.
- If you have your own large equipment, you could drive it to the site of the company that supplies the hot mix asphalt. They can then just fill you truck and allow you to save on the costs of delivery.
What are the extra costs?
- If the minimum amount of asphalt mix is not purchased, you may have to pay a delivery charge in your area.
- You will also be charged for the delivery depending on the time it takes for the delivery.
- An environmental fee is usually charged for all outbound materials.
- You might also incur public scale cost that might range from $15 to $20 per load.
- If you are to apply hot mix asphalt on larger surface areas, you will need large machines to help you apply the asphalt concrete such as mixers, etc.
- After the asphalt is laid, the surface may need painting. For instance, if you have just paved a parking lot, stripes will need to be put on. These painting services will be an extra cost. Some of the paving companies also do painting in which case you could save money on doing both services through the same company.
- Asphalt does not last forever. It will eventually develop cracks, pits, and holes that will need to be repaired.
Factors that influence the price:
- Price of Oil. The price of hot mix asphalt depends on the price of oil. As the price of oil increases, the price of mix Asphalt also increases.
- Type of Material. There are many kinds of hot asphalt mix and the type of material used matters. There are also different grades of asphalt that will affect the final look and texture of the area.
- Location. Traveling charges might cost you more if you are far away from your supplier of hot mix asphalt.
Tips to know:
- There are many legal considerations to take if you are going to start a paving company. You will not only need to go through all the avenues needed to start a business, but will also have to acquire permits and other things because of the environmental implications of this business.
How can I save money?
- Always calculate the area of the place you want to pave with asphalt so that you will not or too much asphalt, which can result in waste of materials. Check ehow.com for calculation instructions.
- Compare prices from all suppliers that are available in your area. Choose the one that you think is the best and can help you save money. If you need professionals to help you with the job, free quote search engines such as HomeAdvisor.com can help.
- Rent equipment with the same company where you got your asphalt because they might offer a package deal. If you are to pave a small surface you can ask for a person from their company to help you.
- Research all the types of asphalt as well as all the forms in which it comes. They vary in price, so decide exactly what you need and purchase the cheapest material that will get the job done.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.