How Much Do Cinder Blocks Cost?
Cinder blocks, often refered to as a CMU, is usually made from a mixture of Portland cement blended cement, water and aggregates, and these blocks can help form a foundation, create a wall or for numerous other applications. These blocks will be weather resistant, energy efficient and are designed for both commercial or residential settings.
How much do cinder blocks cost?
- On average, cinder blocks can cost $1 to $2.5 per piece. The cost will depend on the size and where you purchase it.
- At Lowe’s, for instance, the common sized 8-in x 8-in x 16-in cinder block retails for a pinch more than $1. The store implies that bulk discounts are available.
- Menard’s also lists its prices on its official website. According to the website, an eight-inch standard concrete block retails for $1.50, while four-inch construction block retails for $1.50. Regardless of the size, most were less than $2 each.
|8 in. x 8 in. x 16 in||$1 to $1.50|
|16 in. x 8 in. x 4 in.||$2 to $3|
|16 in. x 8 in. x 6 in||$1 to $1.50|
|7-3/4 in. x 2-1/4 in. x 3-3/4||$0.50 to $1|
|16 in. x 8 in. x 6 in.||$1.25 to $2|
|16 in. x 8 in. x 8 in.||$1,25 to $2|
|16 in. x 4 in. x 8 in.||$1 to $1.50|
|16 in. x 4 in. x 4 in.||$.80 to $1.50|
What is going to be included?
- Cinder blocks can come with a variety of surface finishes, including brick, ashlar, and cobblestone; however, the most common found in most stores will be the rockface variety.
- While the standard size measures 8 by 8 by 16 inches, other sizes, as indicated in the table above, can be found as well.
- Blocks can either be solid or hollow with two to three cores.
What are the extra costs?
- If purchasing in bulk and you need it delivered, some retailers may have a flat shipping fee around $75 to $100; however, this fee may be waived if you meet the minimum spending requirements.
Tips to know:
- Problems can occur over time, include natural cracking as the concrete shrinks or the wall moves. It can also stain if dirt were to build up or water entered the wall from the base and moved its way upward.
- According to the General Services Administration, cinder blocks are inexpensive, lightweight, easy to install, fireproof, low in maintenance and very durable.
- Foundation or basement walls.
- A plainfaced partition wall or exterior wall often covered in stucco.
- Used as a backup for a cavity wall construction.
- Coatings may also be applied to the block in order to prevent water from penetrating. This could include a Portland cement paint, latex paint, rubber-based coating, epoxy coating or urethane.
How can I save money?
- Purchasing in bulk often brings the costs down by as much as 10 to 30 percent.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.