How Much Do Clams Cost?
Clams come in two varieties: a soft shell and a hard shell. The hard-shell clams are found on the East Coast and will come in three sizes, while the soft-shell clams have a thin and brittle shell that can’t completely close. Depending on the geographical area, clams may be available year around.
How much is it?
- The price of clams will depend on the type, the amount purchased, the time of year, where it’s being purchased from and geographical location.
- Little neck or soft shell clams can cost anywhere from $7 to $14 per dozen. By the pound, plan on spending $3 to $10 depending on where you buy them. For instance, a state such as Maine will cost a lot less than Idaho.
- If buying the clams individually, plan on spending $0.50 to $1 per clam.
- Large quahog clams, which are best chopped or ground to be used as baked clams or chowders, can cost $3 to $9 per pound. Manila clams can cost around $10 per pound. If these types of clams are available, most merchants will sell them in one, two or five pound bags.
- For example, CrabVille.com is an online store that offers fresh caught clams from the Chesapeake Bay. The clams sold through this site are caught from Chesapeake Bay daily. The price of the clams that they sell can ranges from $25 to $31 per 50 clams. You can choose between little neck clams as well as cherrystone clams.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy clam samplers, you can expect to get different kinds of clams. Some samplers would include up to four types of clams included with your purchase. The clams would also come with their shells, while other clams are available packed in containers that holds the clam meat only.
- If buying fresh clams, they will usually be packed in ice but not frozen. If buying processed clams, they will probably be frozen in a freezer safe bag. The frozen type will have instructions for thawing and cooking the clams in different ways.
What are the extra costs?
- You may have to pay for shipping. Due to the sensitivity of these foods, special gel packs will be required to keep the clams cool during their transit.
- A clam shucking knife is ideal for those who have to open a large number of clams for a meal.
- If you are planning to use the clams for a specific recipe, the other ingredients needed will cost extra. Some clams may come with a small packet of seasoning, but most will not.
Tips to know:
- Clams can be used in a variety of manners and not just for cooking. The different varieties of clams are appropriately used for specific types of dishes. Clams are also rich in healthy oil which is good for your heart.
- If you purchase clams online, you will want to make sure that you wash them fully since they can contain sand or others impurities.
- Some people are severely allergic to shellfish and can have a reaction even by coming into contact with a clam. Make sure none of the people for which you are cooking have any type of allergy.
How can I save money?
- Consider buying clams from online stores that are located in an area where clams are freshly obtained. Although you may be paying a bit more, you will be able to tell the difference with the quality.
- If you need a lot of clams, try shopping at wholesale stores such as Costco or Sam’s Club. If you own a restaurant, you should be able to obtain clams at an even cheaper bulk price.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.