How Much Does a Dalmatian Cost?

Written by: Staff
Last Updated:  August 13, 2018

The Dalmatian is distinguished for its unique black-spotted coat; however, there are some breeds that grow brown spots as well.  Dalmatian puppies are born with a plain white coat, and their first spots normally appear within their first week.  After a month, the Dalmatian will have most of its spots.

Dalmatian In The Forest by Super Formosa, on Flickr
“Dalmatian In The Forest” (CC BY-SA 2.0) by  Super Formosa

How much does a dalmatian cost?

The cost of a dalmatian will depend on the age, quality, inclusions, breeder and geographical location.  A dalmatian can cost anywhere from as little as $600 to more than $1,400.   AKC bred dalmatians will cost more than a dog that doesn’t have the appropriate paperwork., an online classified ad website dedicated to dogs, has listings that range from $650 to $1,100.

What is going to be included in the adoption fee?

If your Dalmatian is purchased from a breeder, AKC papers and a health guarantee should be included.  All breeders will have their own inclusions, but a highly reputable breeder will also include the dog’s first round of shots, a starter kit and the initial vet exam.

What are the extra costs?

Dog food will need to be purchased regularly and can cost about $35 to $65 per month.

Basic accessories such as a leash, toys, collars and dog tags will cost extra.

Grooming, depending on how often you go, can cost $50+ per session.  These dogs will shed year round, regardless of the season, so it’s important to make sure they receive a regular brushing.

Pet insurance is an option to help cover any unforeseen medical bills throughout the life of the dog.  While optional, some pet owners sign up for it and pay about $30 to $0 per month.

If the dog has to be shipped through an airline to arrive at your doorstep, shipment fees can cost upwards of $200 to $500.

A fenced in yard is highly recommended if you own this breed.  If your yard isn’t fenced, consider investing in either a fence or a cost-effective option such as an invisible fence.

Annual vaccinations and vet checkups can be close to $100 to $150 per year.  Don’t forget to factor in an occasional visit here and there.  Each vet visit alone, without any testing, will be at least $50+

Crates, which can cost upwards of $100, will be ideal for those who won’t be home most of the day and/or want to crate train.

Depending on your local city, permits will be required to legally register your dog.  This can be around $25 to $50.

Tips to know:

The average height is 20 to 24 inches at the shoulder, while the average weight is about 55 to 75  pounds.

Its coat is hard, dense and short.  Most adult

The average life expectancy for a Dalmatian is 10 to 12 years.

As for the dalmatian temperament, owners describe their dogs as independent, dominant and intelligent.  Because of this, this breed isn’t recommended for first-time dog owners.

Dalmatian dogs are known to be rather active, and because of this, they are going to require a lot of physical exercises.  This dog won’t be ideal for a smaller setting such as an apartment.  While it is active, it won’t be hyper when compared to other breeds.  Originally, this breed was designed to run close to 25 miles per day with a horse and carriage, and this trait has stuck with them ever since.  If they don’t receive adequate exercise, they can get quite destructive if they become too bored.

Since a dalmatian tends to stay in the puppy stage longer, it’s best to start obedience classes as soon as possible.  Most experts will also recommend that chew toys are handed out early as well to sway them from chewing on items such as furniture and shoes.

This breed is susceptible to illnesses such as kidney disorders, epilepsy, allergies and deafness.

Are dalmatians deaf?  This is a question you may see arise.  While more than 70 percent can hear just fine, deafness is a serious problem for this breed as the remaining 30 percent can’t hear or are hard of hearing.  They are inflicted with this problem due to spotted pattern and breeding can lead to a lack of mature melanocytes.  Dogs with larger patches tend to have healthier hearing abilities.

How can I save money?

Try checking several rescue shelters.  Shelter adoption fees can be less than $100, and 99 percent of the time, the first set of vaccinations should be included.  Most should be spayed or neutered as well.

Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.


Average Reported Cost: $0

0 %
0 %
Less Expensive $1 $1.5K $3K $5K $6.5K More Expensive $8k

How much did you spend?

Was it worth it?  

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Amazon Affiliate Disclosure
Copyright © 2018 | Proudly affiliated with the T2 Web Network, LLC
The information contained on this website is intended as an educational aid only and is not intended as medical and/or legal advice.