How Much Do French Fries Cost?
French fries, referred to as “chips” in some places, are one of the most common foods in America. Fries are made by cutting potatoes in long sections and then deep frying these pieces in oil. Fries can be ordered from almost any restaurant or purchased from any local grocery store. French fries can also come in different varieties. They can be cut into different shapes and different thicknesses. For example, you can purchase waffle fries, which are larger and look a waffle; steak fries, which are cut wide and thick; sweet potato fries, which are made from sweet potatoes; or shoe string fries, which are cut very thin. French fries can also be seasoned in many different ways. Some restaurants have their own special seasoning recipe while others may simply season with salt. Finally, there are some french fries that still have some of the potato peel while others are free of the peel. This variety of fries is one of the things that draws people to them.
How much does it cost?
- On average, French fries at a fast food or other restaurant are going to vary anywhere from $1 to $4.
- For example, French fries from fast food chains, such as McDonald’s and Burger King, cost around $1 to $3. Depending on the state you are in, the price per bag of fries could be higher due to the local cost of living.
- At the grocery store, most bags of frozen fries will range anywhere from $2 to $5 per bag.
- Save A Lot, a popular grocery store, for example, has different kinds packed French fries. Here, they sell two packs of five-pound Wylwood crinkle cut fries for $3 for a 24-ounce bag.
What is going to be included?
- If you get French fries from fast food chains, you can order them in different sizes. They are usually sold in small, medium, large and extra large bags or cups. Some fast food meals include fries in delivery and some others may not.
- If you purchase frozen French fries, they should come in sealed pouches and can be different weight as well. Packed fries can come in 24-oz and 32-oz quantities. These fries can either be fully cooked and simply need warming, or they may need to be cooked thoroughly before eating.
- A very large number of fries, those that are sold at whole sale prices, will usually come in boxes. Each box will contain several packs of frozen fries. These fries are often shipped or delivered to the specific location of the buyer.
What are the extra costs?
- You will be required to pay an additional amount for the tax if you get French fries from fast food chains.
- If you are trying to buy French fries for your business, you may need to add an extra fee for shipping or delivery.
- Additional costs may also apply if you like some add-ons such as dips and sauces.
- If you are frying your French fries, you will need extra supplies.
Factors that influence the price
- Type of Fries. You can buy fries of many different types. The price of fries depends on how it is made and flavor it has.
- Quantity. Fast food French fries are usually only enough for one sitting, but if you buy fries in large orders, it could cost you less per case. For instance, say you buy packed fries and cook them at home than buy prepared ones from fast food restaurants. If this were the case, you would definitely save more on packed ones compared to when you buy from food chains.
- Place where the fries are bought. If you buy fries from the fast food counter, then the only thing you may need to pay in additional would be the tax, as it is required. However, if you purchase them from the local grocery store, you may not have to pay tax.
Tips to know:
- If you are a large eater of French fries, you can actually get them in packs and stock them in the fridge. Most of your local wholesale clubs sell French fries in bulk.
How can I save money?
- If you really want to save some cash on your French fries, it would be best if you prepare them yourself. Grab some potatoes and make your own fries. They are very easy to cook. If you do not know how, you can always make a good use of the internet to get some instructions about homemade French fries.
- If you are lucky, some grocery stores sometimes place potatoes on sale; if they do, grab more than usual and freeze them since they can last a long time in the freezer. Aside from sales, many name brands offer coupons.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.