How Much Do Grapes Cost?
Grapes are rich in polyphenolic phytochemical complex resveratrol, a potent antioxidant that plays a very important role in preventing colon cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease (CHD), Alzheimer’s disease, nerve disease, and viral as well as fungal infections.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a pound of grapes can cost between $1 and $5. Four bundles of grapes, for example, could cost $10.50. The costs will depend on the time of the year, if it’s organic and where it’s purchased from.
- On a forum thread via the website Tasteofhome.com, some users here claimed that they paid upwards of $5.50 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Grapes are commonly packed in plastic bags and are priced by the pound at a local grocery store.
- Most local grocery stores only carry red and green colors, each with its own distinct flavor.
- While a majority have no seeds, some do. Generally, the grapes with seeds are much larger than seedless grapes.
What are the extra costs?
- If you order for good quality grapes, you must expect to pay a higher cost than the average quality.
- During the off season, grapes will usually be 30% higher.
Factors that influence the price:
- Prices of grapes can vary according to its variety, quality, and demand.
- The prices of grapes have considerably increased over the past few years due to lack of stock and growth in international demand.
- Change in weather also affects the development of the fruits. Its size can be stunted by unseasonable rains.
- There is also a significant difference in prices depending on the store where you buy the fruits.
Tips to know:
- There are 3 main types of grapes grown in the world, namely the European Vitis vinifera, the North American Vitis labrusca and Vitis rotundifolia, and the French hybrids.
- Most of the wine and table grape varieties are from the European species Vitis vinifera.
- Depending on the variety, grapes are usually available in the market from late spring through the summer and early fall.
- Grapes may be suitable for snacks or as garnish on platters. They can also be used for making jams or salads.
- The resveratrol in grapes significantly reduces the risk of strokes by changing the molecular mechanisms in the blood vessels.
- Many grape cultivars are grown for varied commercial purposes, such as to be sold as fresh fruit; fresh or dried and converted into raisin, currant, or sultana, or; for the production of wine.
How can I save money?
- Compare prices from one store to another and check on their packaging. Sometimes, the price of one pack may be lower compared with another, but its weight may also be lesser than the seemingly high-priced packed.
- If possible, buy from the local farmer’s markets because their prices are still much lower and the fruit will be at its freshest.
- Do not forget to look out for sales. Most grocery stores will hold sales every week on their fruits. Anything less than $2 per pound is deemed a good deal.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.