How Much Do Onions Cost?
Onions, just like garlic, are members of the Allium family, and both of these are high in sulfur-containing compounds, which are responsible for their odors. Onions are high in vitamin c, fiber and each serving has less than 50 calories.
How much does it cost?
- Onions can be sold per kilo, pound. or by bunch. No matter how they are packaged, the price varies according to what kind of onion you are buying. Common types of onions are the red onions, scallions, vidalia, brown, and yellow onions. Red onions are known to cost more than the white and brown ones, but, they also provide the most unique flavor. Overall, onions can cost from $1-$5 per pound.
- At Gofreshfruitshop.com, red onions are sold at $2.99 per kilo while brown onions are at $1.49 per kilogram or $2.99 for a two-kilo bag.
- Scallions or green onions are sold per pound or by bunch. The average cost of a bunch can be around $0.50 to $1. Some states sell onions per pound and the price can run from $2 to $3 per pound. This makes the price of each bunch to be around $1.50 to $2.00. The same price range can be applied to yellow onions. They also cost around $2 to $3 per pound. However, there are times when their price goes higher.
- Vidalia onions, on the other hand, can cost $2 to $5 per bag. Each bag can contain up to 10 pieces.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy onions, there will very rarely be anything included other than the onions themselves. Some may come with tips for cooking, cutting, and mixing with other ingredients.
- There are some considerations you should take when buying onions. When purchasing onions, you should look for dry outer skins free of spots or blemishes. The onion should be heavy for its size and have no scent. These tips are given by the National Onion Association of USA.
- As per Onions-usa.org, dry bulb onions must be stored in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated place. They should not be stored at plastic bags as the lack of air movement will shorten the storage life of bulb onions.
Factors that influence the price:
- Location. Not all states in the country can grow onions. Because of that, the production of onions in restricted to a certain place, making it a lot expensive for other regions that do not have onion production. Vidalia onions, for example, could not be grown in the state of Iowa. Because they must be transported, the cost will be higher.
- Season. Like most spices, growing onions are seasonal. If it is off season, one will likely pay more for each kilo or pound since the demand is higher than the actual supply.
- Production. Some onions are grown naturally and the preservatives are used to keep them fresh. Other onions may be organic, meaning that they are all-natural and contain no preservatives. Finally, there are onions that are produced in an artificial setting. The way the onion was produced is going to greatly affect the price. Organic onions are going to cost the most.
Tips to know:
- Onions can be added to almost any dish to enhance the flavor, but this is not their only use.
- Onions have a variety of medicinal effects. Since they are rich in vitamin C, they can be used to treat colds, coughs and asthma. These effects can be felt by inhaling the onion vapors. Onions are also a good source of fiber and other key nutrients.
- Onions can also be used to repel insects.
How can I save money?
- Aside from shopping around for cheap onions, you can save money if you have the time and means to plant and grow your own onions in your vegetable garden. Not only will this save you money, it will also ensure that you have the freshest onion that are free from an artificial ingredients.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.