How Much Do Oysters Cost?
Oysters are found in all oceans around the world, usually in shallow waters or reefs. Oyster shells are usually pear or oval in shape, but this shape can differ depending on what the oyster adheres to. The color of the shell on the outside is usually a shade of gray, while the inside is known to be pearly white. When threatened, oysters will use its adductor muscles to close up and protect themselves.
How much is it?
- Usually, the price of oysters ranges from $0.50 per piece to $2 per piece. You will always get large discounts if you purchase in a bulk of 50 or more. Overall, plan on spending around $12 to $25 for a dozen oysters. The exact costs will depend on the time of year, your geographical location and where it’s being purchased.
- For example, in a forum thread on Nasioc.com, forum members claimed that they paid around $12 to $24 a dozen.
- Jackkruse.com members claimed that they paid anywhere from as little as $3 per dozen to as much as $15 depending on the time of year.
What is going to be included?
- Most fish markets are going to sell oysters by the dozen, but there may be some who sell them by the pound.
- Oysters are loaded with omega-3 fatty acid, vitamin E, calcium, iron and are known to have the highest source of zinc.
- Oysters that are purchased in the grocery store or online will typically be in the shell. However, as a courtesy, some will husk the oyster for you for free.
What are the extra costs?
- Like any other seafood, oysters are not easy to cook and can have some serious hidden costs. It should always be understood that the extra charges are applicable on the dish that you make, as these costs include the cooking costs and the cost of spices and other materials involved. As most oysters are preferred boiled, the costs can be very basic, which can be as less as $0.50 per oyster, depending on the herbs you use and how it’s served. But these prices can shoot up to almost $3 per piece if you are planning to go for a barbecued version, for example.
- Purchasing oysters on the web can lead to shipping charges. Since they have to be shipped immediately and land on your doorstep within 24 hours, the shipping is usually around $10 to $20.
Tips to know
- The best time to eat oysters is during the spring and winter because, in good conditions, they can spawn all year long, making them soft, watery and tasteless.
- Buying in bulk always saves money, but you can also search the internet to get some good deals from a local fishery.
- Throw away any oysters that have broken shells since some foreign substance could have found its way in.
- It is always advised to buy live oysters and eat them within 24 hours; to check for dead ones, look for the ones with shell slightly open and feel lighter compared to the live ones. If there is an oyster with an open shell, tap it lightly and it should close. If it does not, it is suggested that you throw the oyster away.
- Do not try to store them in the freezer as it can spoil them very quickly. Always refrigerate them and the maximum time they should be refrigerated is for two days.
How can I save money?
- If you are one of those people who have no idea about buying or cooking oysters but still want to save a buck, then this segment is for you. One of the best ways to save money is to buy the oysters online as you can get a different variety at low prices. Also, search the internet for retailers to get a proper understanding as to what prices are going on for the day and who is offering the best offers. Buying oysters from a locally known fish market is a useful way to save money.
- No matter what may be your recipe of choice, it is always good to understand the costs, time and effort involved to cook oysters.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.