How Much Do Tulips Cost?
Tulips are loved by many because of their beauty and elegance. Since the tulips are perennials, they will return to your yard year after year if you take care of them properly.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the season, plan on spending around $1 to $3 per tulip stem or around $12 to $25 per dozen. The more stems you purchase at once, the more you are going to save.
- For example, at Sam’s Club, the cost of 100 white Tulips retail for about $103.
- The bulbs can range anywhere from $5 to $11 for a bag of ten.
- If you want to send a bouquet that includes tulips, you will most likely pay from $30 to $100, depending on the arrangement.
- According to answers.yahoo.com, tulips cost around $4 to $8 during the spring. In the off season, tulips cost around $15 to $20 per 10.
What is going to be included?
- The cost of tulips may include the cost of handling, packaging, shipping, or delivery.
- Tulips include any of the several bulbous plants of the genus Tulipa, which is native to Asia and widely cultivated for their showy, variously colored flowers. Common colors include purple, white, yellow, pink, bi-color and red.
- Tulips originate in regions with cold winters and dry summers.
- Their vessel-like blooms include many forms – single, double, peony, fringed, and lily. They also include different colors and varied patterning of colors. Tulips may be margined, flamed from the base, striped, or chameleon.
- Tulips grow in fertile, well-drained soil in full or afternoon sun. In regions warmer than Zone 8, bulbs will need a cold treatment (40° to 45°F for 8 to 10 weeks).
- If you purchase an arrangement to be sent to someone, the cost should include some type of vase, delivery, and a basic card to deliver a message.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be required for handling, packaging, shipping, or delivery of tulips especially when you buy them from an online store or from other states. Just ask the seller or flower shop where you buy your tulips for the terms and conditions involved. Shipping, on average, hovers around $10. Rush shipments can be double.
- You might also incur additional expenses for hiring a florist or a professional to arrange your tulips if you use this as decoration for special occasions such as weddings or parties.
- If you want tulips planted in your yard, you may need other things such as fertilizer and special tools to plant them. If you choose to hire a landscaper to plant and care for them, the price will be much higher.
Tips to know
- Shop around for the cost of tulips in your area. You can visit your local florist or flower shops and get price estimates. You can also check out online stores to compare prices. This way, you will be able to find out which store can give you a good deal.
- Learn how to arrange flowers from online sources or by asking tips from friends who have tried flower arrangements. This will help improve your skills when it comes to decorating your home during parties.
- The way you plant your tulips makes a huge difference in their growth and health. You should purchase the bulbs in August or September, place them in the refrigerator, and then plant them in October or November. They should be planted about 3 or 4 inches deep and at least 6 inches from each other.
- Once planted, cover them with chopped leaves, wood chips, or mulch. This is to retain moisture and control weeds.
- Keep the soil wet, but do not let the tulips sit in standing water. They will need more watering during the summer months, especially if you live in an area with high climates.
- Fertilize the tulips at the beginning of each spring and fall, and spray them to keep away harmful insects and rodents.
How can I save money?
- You can save money when you buy directly from a florist or wholesaler because they are usually cheaper than online stores. However, if you are going to purchase online, make sure that you look for coupon codes before proceeding.
- If you take care of your tulips correctly, you will save money by not having to replace them.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.