How Much Does a Haircut Cost?
A haircut is a necessity in life, and whether you get it done by a professional salon or franchise-based haircut service, the cut won’t come free.
How much is it?
- For a lower grade haircut salon, such as st Fantastic Sam’s or Great Clips, the cost is going to range anywhere from $8 for a cut to $40 or more for a shampoo, plus a cut.
- Walmart, The Hair Cuttery, Sports Clips, Supercuts and other franchise-based chains will have very similar pricing. Haircuts here should be in the $8 to $20 range.
- Higher-end salons and barber shops that aren’t affiliated with a franchise are going to charge anywhere from $45 to as much as $250 for a cut and shampoo alone. The more credibility a salon has, the higher the price tag will be.
- The price really depends on what type hair cut you are getting, the salon and if additional services are required. On average, a haircut will range anywhere from $7 to more than $90. Be sure to look at our table below to see what major salons across the United States charge.
- According to the Professional Beauty Association, the average woman spent $42, while a man spent $28.
|Salon||Price for haircut only|
|Cost Cutter Haircut||$17|
|Fantastic Sams Haircut||$15|
|Great Clips Haircut||$8 (with coupon) to $15|
|Sports Clips Haircut||$22|
What is going to be included?
- The haircut will usually include a pre-haircut shampoo service or post-haircut styling. Results may vary in your location. Some stylists may cut your hair in less than 10 minutes, while another may cut, blow dry, style and clean your hair. Some higher-end salons may also offer complimentary coffee, drinks and snacks.
- Upon arriving at the salon, the stylist will simply ask what you would like to have done, and the average job can last anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes.
What are the extra costs?
- How much to tip a hair stylist? A tip isn’t going to be included, but most stylists are going to expect one. Tips usually range anywhere from five to 15 percent of the total price.
- Adding color, highlights or extensions, will be an extra cost. Highlights can start at $65, while permanent straightening can cost $100 per session.
- Most salons will have products that a customer can purchase after the haircut, such as shampoos and conditioners.
- Trimming a beard or mustache can be an additional charge as most don’t include this with their haircut package.
How can I save money?
- Most franchised-based salons always have coupons in the local paper or even online. Search for these coupons before going in. Many hair salons may accept competitor coupons. Be sure to call ahead of time to see if your salon is willing to accept these.
- Many local cosmetology schools will offer hair cuts at a discounted rate. About.com tells you when it’s a good idea to get your hair cut at a beauty college.
- With haircuts, you get what you what you pay for. Local franchised haircut places may employ recent graduates with little experience, while a highly popular salon in the middle of New York City may employ stylists who have been doing it for years. However, just because the haircut is $150, it doesn’t mean the cut will be great.
- Children haircuts will often be $5 to $7 cheaper than adult cuts at most salons.