How Much Does a Pizza Box Cost?
If you own a pizza place or any restaurant that sells pizza, the pizza box is something that you cannot avoid purchasing.
How much is it?
- The cost of a pizza box will depend on the size, the amount purchased, if any customizations are needed and the company creating the boxes.
- A plain medium pizza box can cost under $10 for around 75 boxes, which comes down to $0.13 per box, but if you need to add your logo or make some sort of customization, the costs can be about $0.30 to $0.50 per box.
- For example, webstaurantstore.com sells a bundle of 100 clay coated boxes for $28. On the other hand, a pizza by the slice box retails for $61 for 400 boxes.
- Reliablepaper.com, another retailer of pizza boxes online, sells a package of 100 large boxes for $17. A case of 200 pizza by the slice boxes can retail for $86.
What is going to be included?
- Pizza boxes can come in a variety of forms: clay coated, chipboard, plain corrugated material, printed corrugated material, or by the slice box. A corrugated box tends to be more rigid and sturdy, while a chipboard will be cheaper and tends to resist grease.
- Average sizes will include: 10″ x 10″ x 1 1/2″; 14″ x 14″ x 2″; 12″ x 12″ x 2″; 16″ x 16″ x 2″.
- Standard boxes will have checklists and areas on the side for you to write on. While most standard boxes will be white, some will have generic pictures or words on it.
- Typical pizza boxes that need custom logos can take upwards of 4-6 weeks to create.
- Pizza boxes are created in such a way that they remain flat until they are used and folded. This makes it very easy to store them and to keep them clean and ready for use.
- Although most pizza boxes are square, there are also some that are rectangular. Square boxes are most often used for round pizzas while rectangular boxes are for square pizzas. There are also one-slice boxes, which come in the shape of a slice of pizza.
What are the extra costs?
- One should be aware of the material that the pizza box is made out of since this can add to the overall cost. Generally, the recyclable material will always cost 30-40% more than a non-recyclable box.
- Also, any containers that contain imagery or designs on them will be far more expensive than those that do not have a design. However, having a logo on a product can be great for driving a business forward.
- There are liners that can be purchased for the inside of your pizza box. This is usually a piece of cardboard or other absorbent material that can help absorb the grease from the pizza so that it does not get all over the box or soak through. There are also liners you can put on top of the box to prevent the top of the pizza from getting stuck on the top of the box. Finally, there are liners you can put on top of the pizza that are made specifically to keep the pizza warm while it is in transit from the store to your home.
Tips to know:
- For custom logos, some companies may require a minimum purchase requirement, which can often be more than $1,000. Remember when ordering a custom pizza box, you may have to wait a few weeks before receiving your box.
- You can place other things in a pizza box other than pizza. For example, many people also use pizza boxes for their cheese bread or bread sticks.
- Because most pizza boxes are made from recyclable material, try to encourage your customers to recycle. You could even try a promotion in which you offer a discount or special to those who return their boxes to your store for recycling. This will not only help the environment, but it will also bring customers back for more.
How can I save money?
- The more boxes you purchase up front, the more you are going to save. Some companies may be able to cut you a deal if you sign up for a certain subscription plan.
- If purchasing online, many restaurant suppliers will have promotions or coupon codes.
- Plain boxes are going to cost a lot less than a box with a printed logo. If you are on a tight budget, it may be best to stick to a plain box.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.