How Much Does a Rack of Lamb Cost?
A rack of lamb is a special cut of lamb people usually serve for special occasions. What makes it an extraordinary food is the way it is cut and garnished. The whole rack will consist six or seven rib chops, and the meat is tender and fine flavored with different herbs and flavor enhancers. The food presentation really captures the eye of your guests with its bone that serves as a handle for each of the chops.
How much is it?
- The cost of the rack of lamb depends on the cost of living in your area and, of course, the quality of the meat. On average, it will cost about $15 to $24 per pound. The price of the rack of lamb depends on the weight of the pack. Therefore, a pack may cost you anywhere from $80 to $350.
- For example, Costco offers rack of lamb that is already vacuumed sealed and prepared for around $14 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Usually, a rack of lamb with six to eight chops, which is good for 2 to 4 people, weighs three to four pounds. It will be French roast and ready to broil. It can also be boned, semi-boned or boneless. The pack also includes instructions on how to prepare the dish.
- Rack of lamb is often found at local wholesale clubs, grocery stores during holidays and even local farmer markets. The availability will depend on your geographical location.
- Most rack of lamb on the market can often be harvest from lambs three to six months old, but this will depend on the distributor. A good farmer won’t pasture their lambs to prevent parasite infections. They will also feed them non-GMO grains such as whole oats and/or barley. All farmers/distributors will be different in how they raise their lambs.
- A rack of lamb can be cooked in a variety of ways; however, the most common way is by roasting. This recipe, along with this one, offers some great ideas for those who want to cook a rack for the first time.
What are the extra costs?
- In addition to the meat, vegetables and other garnishes can enhance the look and add royalty to the dish. These will not be included. You can buy carrots, parsnips, and potatoes and cut them into long strips; you can also garnish it with red pepper strips and other colorful vegetables. There are many lamb recipe books on the market that can help you think of ideas.
- Some grocery stores or butchers may offer a pre-packaged deal that not only includes the rack of lamb, but it also includes additional items such as the spices and vegetables. This rack of lamb can then be put into the oven for a quick, easy recipe.
How can I save money?
- Buying the rack of lamb in greater quantity can save you money. Butchers are often more than willing to offer discounts if you buy in bulk.
- With any meat, it will go on sale quite often. Anything less than $10 per pound is often considered a good deal.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.