How Much Does a Sloth Cost?
A sloth is a medium-sized mammal that has a set of specialized claws. These claws allow sloths to spend most of their time in trees. Sloths are usually seen in the wild or in the zoo, but sometimes people choose to keep them as pets. These animals are tree dwelling creatures and are usually found in Central and South America. As the name “sloth” implies, these animals are very slow moving and spend a lot of time simply sitting around.
How much does a sloth cost?
- Because a sloth is not a normal pet, you will usually have to go to a pet store that specifically sells exotic pets. Sloths can also be found online since owners and breeders use the internet to find buyers for their sloths. The price of the sloth will depend on the gender, age, quality, type and seller. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $1,500 to as much as $3,000 for a sloth. Sloths have an average lifespan of 12-20 years when they live in the wild, but when kept in captivity or as a pet they can live up to 40 years. Most of the time, the younger sloths will cost the most. As they get older, their price will begin to drop.
- The website ExoticAnimalsforSale.net specializes in selling exotic animals such as sloths. According to the reference that they have listed on the site, the price of a sloth can range anywhere from $1,950 to $2,100.
- Creatures and Critters is another store where you can find sloths and other types of exotic animals. This online store offers a list of pet breeders as well as different services for animals such as vets and recreations for your pets. According to one listing on the site, the price of sloths can range anywhere from $1,600 to $2,500.
- According to the website WorldExoticsInc.com, sloths can range from $1,500 to $2,600.
What is going to be included?
- When you buy a sloth, expect that the animal will have documents proving its quality of breed as well as medical shots administered. This paperwork should be provided by the seller.
- If the sloth is going to be shipped overseas, the seller will more than often include an airline approved carrier for safe traveling.
- Sometimes the seller will include a start-up package with the purchase of a sloth.
What are the extra costs?
- Expect to prepare a suitable habitat for them. Sloths can be caged or can be left around the house to roam, and it would be a great idea to purchase something on which the sloth can climb. You should also provide food and medical care for the sloth by visiting a vet.
- For this type of animal, make sure that you budget $100 to $200 per month for the basic necessities. Sloths generally eat tree leaves and fruit. Depending on the time of year, fruit can be more expensive.
- Shipping an animal overseas can get fairly expensive. Since many domestic airlines will not ship this type of animal, shipping rates can easily exceed $500.
- Most local cities will require that you buy a license for your pet. These permits can range anywhere from $10 to $50 depending on the geographical location.
- To protect yourself, it is highly recommended that you purchase an exotic pet insurance policy.
Tips to know:
- Because sloths are rare, they can be a handful to take care of since the supplies that you need to provide them are not widely available. If you do not have any experience or knowledge of how to take care of them, you may want to reconsider.
- Many local cities and states may ban this type of animal. Make sure that you know about your local ordinances before even considering one.
- Sloths have a low body temperature and because of this, they cannot live outside of a tropical climate. If your climate does not resemble a tropical climate, there is a good chance that they can get sick.
- These pets tend to be very slow but affectionate. They love blankets, children, and also like to hang from bars.
How can I save money?
- Be sure to check different websites that offer sloths, and it is almost certain that there are some sellers that can offer the sloths for a cheaper price. Just do not expect to pay less than $1,000 since they are generally expensive.
- Because sloths have a pretty long lifespan compared to other pets, consider purchasing an older one, even one that has had a previous owner. You may even get some supplies and things for you home if you purchase from a previous owner since they will no longer need these things.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.