How Much Does a VPN Cost?
A VPN, known as a virtual private network, connects you to a private network using your current Internet connection. These virtual networks use encryption and other security mechanisms to make sure that only authorized users can use it.
How much does it cost?
- Overall, depending on what you want with your VPN, the costs are going to be anywhere between $4 and $14 per month, per user.
What is going to be included?
- According to news.cnet.com, VPN services use of one of three technologies to create a tunnel, which includes the following: PPTP, L2TP, and the latest of which is IPSec (Internet Protocol Security). The tunnel creates the network, and the encryption keeps it private.
- VPNs can be classified into remote access, in which you can connect an individual computer to a network, or site to site, which enables you and other people such as your employees in different locations to share one virtual network.
- With a VPN service, you can get a secure connection to your business network that will be useful for you.
- You will be able to run over various networks as well as the internet through VPN service.
- To learn more about how a VPN works, PCWorld.com has a detailed guide.
What are the extra costs?
- Some companies charge extra for upgraded functions. For instance, HotSpotVPN charges extra for higher grades of encryption.
- If you want to change the type of VPN you are using, there may be a small service fee.
- If there is something wrong with your network, you may need to call a technician to help you find the problem and fix it.
Factors that influence the price:
- Broadband Speed. The broadband speed is the rate at which information is sent (uploaded) or received (downloaded) on your broadband line. The average broadband speed is currently 12 megabits per second. The higher your broadband speed, the higher the cost of a VPN will be.
- Type of Server. There are many different types if servers that can be used for your network, and the cost of acquiring a VPN will vary according to the type. Some of these types include the following: application, which is dedicated to running software applications; communications, which is designed for communication networks; and gaming, a server made specifically for gamers to meet and play online;
Tips to know
- You can search online for various VPN providers. Try to assess whether these providers offer quality VPN service so that what you pay for will be really worth it. An affordable VPN service provider that can give you great service will be an advantage.
- Although a VPN will cost you money, it is a very worthwhile investment. The prices given are for an entire year, meaning the costs are actually quite minimal. Acquiring a VPN will ensure that you network is safe from outsiders as well as viruses that could affect your home or business.
How can I save money?
- Instead of a dial-up connection, you can use a VPN service. The latter can help you generate more savings, and it will also give you a much faster internet connection.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.