How Much Does Abalone Cost?
Abalone is a gastropod commonly found in the majority of oceans worldwide and is prized as a culinary treat amongst the Japanese and the United States.
Like other edible gastropods, which include clams and scallops, the section that is eaten is its large muscular foot that forms the majority of the body. In many areas, there is a size limit to prevent the harvest of juvenile specimens. Its size limit varies depending on the local regulations.
A classic preparation method involves breading and frying; however, some adventurous cooks add it to pasta sauces or even make sushi with the rich white flesh. Because of the price and the rarity of this seafood, it is usually reserved for special occasions.
How much is it?
- On average, legal-size abalones sell for $20 to $25 per pound or about $70 to $110 per pound when turned into steaks.
- CatalinaOP.com, an online store that sells a variety of seafood products, sells Abalone meat for $70 per pound.
- Giovannisfishmarket.com, another online seafood retailer, sells its steaks for $125 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Abalone is a type of shellfish, known as a gastropod mollusk. In the animal kingdom, an abalone belongs to the phylum Mollusca. An abalone is a univalve, which means that it possesses one shell instead of two symmetrical shells, like with oysters and clams. The shell is a somewhat flatted whorl, which resembles an ear, with a slightly elevated apex at the middle of the spiral. There are small holes that support respiration along one edge of the shell. The creature lurks within the shell, clinging onto rocks with its foot while searching for algae and other sources of food. Abalone reproduces by releasing eggs and sperm into the open water.
- The steaks are known to have a mild flavor with a hint of sweetness.
- There are two main types of abalones. Fresh California red abalone is the variety most generally available, along with the smaller green, pink, and black abalone. Australian Abalone (Haliotis Rubra) is a delicious mollusk with a refined flavor that is completely non-fishy.
- Abalone is used for certain common ailments like muscle building, common heart issues, protection of the tissue, and an aid in digestion when it is used for healing purposes.
- Experts believe that abalone may help prevent and treat debilitating health conditions including arthritis.
- Abalone is highly regarded in Asian cultures for its health benefits and is believed to promote healthy eyes, alleviate colds, reduce fluid retention and improve circulation.
What are the extra costs?
- One additional cost you need to consider is the cost of refrigeration of the abalone package. You will also need extra ingredients to prepare your abalone cuisine.
Tips to know:
- Abalone is eaten and is considered a delicacy in several parts of the world. The inside of an abalone shell is brilliantly colored with iridescent greens, blues,and pinks.
- Because commercial fishing or diving for abalone is illegal, getting your hands on them can be very tricky. If you get them, it must have either been from someone who farms them legally or from diving for them yourself.
- Due to concerns about over-harvesting, most countries have limits on how many can be taken. Some people have opened abalone farms so as to harvest and sell abalone legally. In case it is allowed to grow to maturity, the abalone can get quite big and develops interesting occlusions in its shells due to encounters with rocks as well as other organisms.
- Abalone is known to go great with scallops, lobster, or even veal.
- Before you eat an abalone, you will need to clean it. First, you need to remove the meat from the shell by sliding a spatula or other flat tool between the abalone and its shell. Most people keep the shell so that to use for display of the abalone once they are cooked and ready to eat. The guts, viscera. and skin then needs to be removed. The most common way to cook abalone is to pan-fry them in vegetable oil either plain or with fresh batter spread over them.
- In China, where abalones are most common, they are considered a status symbol. The breaded and fried abalone is delicious when served either hot or cold with a wedge of lemon. If you ever get a chance to try this delicacy, you should definitely take it.
How can I save money?
- You can get abalone at a lower cost per pound when purchased wholesale.
- The cheapest way to get abalone is to dive for them yourself anytime you have the chance.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.