How Much Does an Ice Luge Cost?
An ice luge is a large ramp of ice that can create various sculpted forms and has a narrow channel carved through it. At the top of the luge, the liquid is poured into the channel, and a few seconds later, the icy cold drink is dispensed at the bottom. When the liquid comes through the spout, it can be caught by a glass. However, when an ice luge is used at most parties, the liquid ends up falling directly into someone’s mouth. Typically, liquor is used as the drink of choice with an ice luge. Rather than pour a shot in a glass and drink it, the shot will be poured down the luge and caught in the mouth.
How much does it cost?
- On average, be prepared to spend anywhere from as little as $50 to as much as $350 for an ice luge. Larger sculptures that are customized can cost upwards of $700 to $1,000 depending on how many blocks are required. The costs will depend on how elaborate the ice luge is, the size and where it’s purchased from.
- For example, this smaller luge on Amazon retails for $15 to $40.
- LugeDoctor.com, located in New York, charges less than $100 for their sculptures.
- SculptedIceWorks.com charges $425 to $475 for their single block sculptures or up to $725 for customized company logos.
What is going to be included?
- An ice luge can come in all shapes and sizes. However, most will less than two feet will be able to sit on top of a bar and counter. This makes either drinking or catching the liquid more convenient than if it were on the ground.
- An ice luge can have one spout or multiple spouts depending on how large you make it and how many people will be using it.
- If purchased from a company, the ice luge will be wrapped in something similar to a sleeping bag to keep it cool for the next few hours.
- Depending on the atmosphere, most ice luges will last up to six hours indoors. Plan on losing 1/4 inch an hour.
What are the extra costs?
- All the prices noted above usually do not include the cost of setting up. If you purchase the ice luge from a company and need it delivered and set up, there will be an extra charge for this. You may also want to tip the delivery person when he is finished setting it up.
- Of course, beside your ice luge, you will need to factor in the drinks. If these are non-alcoholic, it will not be much; alcoholic drinks, however, will probably cost you more than the luge itself.
Tips to know
- Beside the option to buy an already made ice luge, you also have the option to create your own ice luge using ice sculpture molds. You can use a few different types of ice sculpture molds. Polycarbonate molds are practical because they are clear and allow you to see if the water has already frozen; they are reusable, and it is easy to remove the material because it is elastic. Another type of ice sculpture molds are those made of two equal halves of fiberglass. This type of mold is also practical and easy to remove the sculpture once the water is frozen.
- In order create the ice sculpture shape, you need to put the ice sculpture mold in a freezer and leave them there to freeze between 24 hours for the smaller ones and up to 72 hours for the larger molds.
- You should not use regular tap water for your ice sculpture molds. To create ice sculptures as clear as possible, you should use distilled water. To leave space for the water to freeze, you should not fill the ice sculpture mold all the way, but instead, around 90% of its volume. This way, the water will have enough space to expand when it freezes.
- When the ice sculpture is finished, you should never dip the mold in water to remove the sculpture because that will cause the sculpture to crack even though many people think that this makes it easier to remove. You have to place the ice sculpture mold upside down for a few minutes and then you will be able to remove the sculpture easily once the ice melts a tiny bit.
How can I save money?
- Consider making your own luge. This is a great way to have fun and save money in the meantime.
- If you are set on hiring the professionals, make sure that you get at least three to five quotes.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.