How Much Does Anesthesia Cost?
Anesthesia is used to control pain during a surgical procedure. This will help control your heart rate, blood flow and blood pressure. When administered, anesthesia will help relax you, block the pain, make you forgetful and/or make you unconscious for the surgical procedure.
How much does anesthesia cost?
- The cost of anesthesia will depend on the type administered, the type of procedure, the geographical location and the anesthesiologist administering it. On average, the cost of anesthesia without any sort of insurance will vary anywhere from $100 for a simple procedure to as much as $3,200 for a complex surgery.
- To put things in perspective, anesthesia will be charged based on the units. Units can vary anywhere from $50 to $70. The more complex a surgery is, the more units it will required. For instance, a bypass surgery could take up to 20 units while getting your wisdom teeth removed can take less than six units.
- If you have health insurance, there is a fairly good chance that you policy will cover a majority of the cost of anesthesia as long as the procedure is deemed medically necessary. You should only be responsible for your deductible or copay.
- Anesthesia is usually available in hospitals but will only be administered by health care professionals. The substances used in anesthesia cannot be purchased over the counter since they can be dangerous, especially if large amounts are administered to a patient. The prices that are quoted for anesthesia covers not only the cost of the actual substance used, but also the price for the physician to administer the substance to the patient.
- For instance, PlasticSurgeryCosts.com helps identify the cost of anesthesia administered to people undergoing plastic surgery. The price of anesthesia according to this site can range anywhere from $350 to $400.
- If you have insurance and would like to know what you should expect to pay for anesthesia, you can check the website of Health Care Blue Book. The site shows the fair price for the anesthesia administration that is covered by insurance companies. This will provide you with an idea of how much the typical anesthesia cost will be. The price of the substance can range anywhere from $50 to $60.
What is going to be included?
- Anesthesia has varying strengths that will allow different effects which can range from grogginess to full sleep. Careful administration is applied when using this substance since there have been reports showing that patients can sometimes have a hard time regaining consciousness after the surgery.
- There are three types of anesthesia: general, regional and local. The first is called general anesthesia. This is the most common type used for surgery as it makes the patient temporarily unconscious. Regional anesthesia is a numbing agent that is given to the patient, usually in the spine, causing the body to become numb while the patient remains conscious. Lastly, with a local anesthesia, only the area of procedure is numbed.
- During the procedure, a needle will inject the anesthetic near the nerve. The patient will be wide awake during the administration of the anesthesia. Depending on the procedure, the patient can either be given a sedative or they can stay awake. Regardless of the situation, no pain will be felt once the substance has been given.
- Anesthesia is administered by a professional anesthesiologist, who is trained to provide the patient with just the right dosage of anesthesia to be unable to feel the pain without risking any dangerous occurrence to the patient.
What are the extra costs?
- The only time there will be extra costs for anesthesia is if a different form is given than what was planned. For example, if regional anesthesia was going to be used but the patient was unable to handle being conscious and needs to be put out, there may be an extra cost.
Tips to know:
- Anesthesia amount is determined by the professionals who administer them. If you feel that you are still aware of the pain even after administration of the anesthesia, you should not ask for more unless the anesthesiologist agrees that it is alright.
How can I save money?
- You do not really have any control in determining the price for anesthesia since it is advised by professionals during the surgery. Since anesthesia prices can vary by hospital, you can ask beforehand what the price of anesthesia is so that you can prepare.
- If you do not have health insurance, most hospitals are more than happy to offer a discount to cash paying patients.
- You can also get your insurance company involved to make sure that you get at least a few dollars saved. You will only have to pay a small amount which usually does not go over a hundred dollars. If you do not have insurance, consider looking for quotes for free on eHealthInsurance.com.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.