How Much Does Baking Soda Cost?
Baking soda has a variety of uses such as acting as a leavening agent in baking and as a prime ingredient in cleansing agents. It can also be used to scour and lift the dirt that sits on fabric, and it can also neutralize substances that may cause stains and smells.
How much is it?
- On average, a basic 16-ounce box found at your local grocery store can cost anywhere from $0.65 to $3 per box.
- Some brands such as Bob’s Red Mill will be more expensive than another popular brand, such as Arm and Hammer, because it will be mined directly from the ground in its natural state with no chemicals added to it. If the baking soda isn’t mined in its natural state, the company will use a chemical reaction to process where trona ore is mined and heated to create a soda ash. This soda ash will be treated with carbon dioxide to create the baking soda.
- A four-pound pack of baking soda will cost about $5.
- A 60-ounce pack may cost anywhere from $30 to $40.
What is going to be included?
- What does baking powder do? Baking soda is just sodium bicarbonate, and that’s it. With baking, in order to do its job, it will need an acidic component, such as yogurt, vinegar or lemon juice. When these acidic properties are mixed with baking soda, it will create bubbles, forming carbon dioxide. In turn, it will rise your baked good, making it tender.
- Baking soda is widely used for all sorts of reasons. Considered nature’s best cleaner, baking soda can be used to bake a cake, clean your teeth, clean a car’s battery and even neutralize pet and smoke odors.
- Common ingredients include Sodium Bicarbonate and it may contain traces of milk, eggs, walnuts, peanuts, soy and wheat. This will depend on the brand.
- Baking soda has an indefinite shelf life, but to test it, you can do the following: Pour three tablespoons of white distilled vinegar and a teaspoon of baking soda into a bowl. While stirring, it should bubble rapidly to show it’s fresh.
What are the extra costs?
- Buying the baking soda online may not include shipping costs.
Tips to know:
- Baking soda in the fridge is not only going to help with odors, but it’s also going to remove any excess moisture that is in the home.
- If there is a room with a lot of moisture, place baking soda in the bowl. It can almost work like a humidifier.
- Baking soda can work great with stains such as markers and even grease that is on the bottom of a pan. To clean this grease, fill the pot half full of water, along with two tablespoons of baking soda, and bring to a boil.
- Baking soda is a great item to deodorizer to use to keep things clean such as a refrigerator or even a closet. It is also used in many baking recipes, such as cookies and brownies.
- To use as a cleaner, combine four tablespoons with one quart of water to create a mixture. Apply it to a no-scratch sponge and wipe down any dirty surface.
- Experts recommend replacing a baking soda box in your refrigerator every two months. Also be sure to stir it every 14 days to expose fresh soda.
- Use to deodorize your cat’s litter. Simply sprinkle a pinch over the litter, and repeat when necessary.
- A common misconception often found online is that baking soda contains aluminum. This isn’t true. Regardless of what it says on the packaging, people often confuse baking soda with baking powder, which can have aluminum. Baking soda contains sodium bicarbonate, which comes from soda ash, and as mentioned above, this can either come naturally or via a chemical process.
Best-selling baking soda
Baking soda vs. baking powder
- Baking soda is a base mineral, and when it’s added with some acidic, it will produce carbon dioxide. This ingredient is called for in recipes that need the dough to rise or to add more of a crisp. It can last forever, and it can be used for other uses, such as cleaning carpets, getting rid of odors and even unclogging drains.
- Baking powder is a combination of baking soda and another acid, which is usually cornstarch. With this powder, when water is added, the soda and acide will create the carbon dioxide, giving it the lift in recipes. There are two types of baking powder on the market: single-acting and double-acting. A single-acting powder will react when you combine with another liquid, while double reacting will work when liquid is added and when its heated.
How can I save money?
- Buying in bulk can often bring the cost down.
- Companies who manufacture baking soda often have coupons readily available. These can be found online and via their social media channels.
- Store brands will often be cheaper than the name brand. For example, Walmart’s Great Value brand retails for $0.62, while Arm and Hammer can cost three times more.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.