How Much Does Comic Con Cost?
Comic Con, founded in 1970, refers to the San Diego Comic-Con International. It is a four-day event held during the summer in San Diego that features various events for comic book fans and professionals alike. Aside from the panels, seminars, and workshops with professionals, attendees have the opportunity to preview upcoming feature films and review portfolios with top comic book and video game companies. There are also other interesting events, such as Cosplays, that will be enjoyed by most comic books enthusiasts. These and a lot more are featured in the event. Thus, planning and preparation for your attendance to this event are all important. One of the biggest factors to prepare for is the costs for the Comic Con tickets.
How much does it cost?
- As of 2010, the 4-day passes to Comic Con were $100 each. However, it increased as the years went by. According to WhenNerdsAttack.com, the 4-day pass with preview night costs $175 for adults and $87 for juniors, military and seniors. The 4-day pass without the preview costs $150 for adults and $75 for junior, military and seniors. Single days from Thursday to Saturday cost $42 each while it is just $21 for juniors, military and seniors. The final day (Sunday), adults need to pay $24 while juniors, military and seniors only need to pay $12 for the pass.
- Like any other events, tickets for Comic Con are a lot cheaper if they are purchased months before the event. According to Mountaincon.org, the earlier one registers, the cheaper the ticket will be. For example, one can register for 2013 at the 2012 Comic Con. You can expect to pay over a hundred dollars for the four-day event. The forum on the site revealed that an attendee paid $105 for 4 day passes. For individual breakdown, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays all cost $37 each while Sundays cost $20. However, prices will likely go up when they are purchased closer to the event.
- For specific prices for tickets, you can contact the official site of Comic Con at Comic-con.org.
- Although Comic Con is usually referred to San Diego Comic-Con International, other states and countries in the world are holding yearly Comic Con events as well. Chicago, for example, has its Wizard World Chicago Comic Con which has its individual set of ticket prices as well.
What is going to be included?
- As mentioned, Comic Con is held for four days (Thursday to Sunday) during the summer in San Diego, (southern California) United States. Each day has major events that comic and fantasy enthusiasts can enjoy. These include panels, seminars, and workshops with comic book professionals, awards and ceremonies, costume contests, and some traditional events like an eclectic film programs. The event also features screening rooms devoted to Japanese animation, gaming and programs.
- As with other comic-book conventions, Comic-Con features a large floor space for exhibitors. These include media companies such as movie studios and TV networks as well as comic-book dealers and collectible merchants.
- The convention also includes an autograph area where comic fans have the chance to have an autograph with some prominent personalities in the comic book industry. There is also the “Artists’ Alley” where most artists can sketch for a fee or for free for their fans.
- Purchasing the tickets is best done online. However, thousands and thousands of people want to get into the event. Thus, you must devote your time in purchasing a ticket in advance. In fact, you must be on the lookout even if Comic Con does not announce the tickets’ availability yet.
What are the extra costs?
- Aside from the passes, you may want to consider saving some money as you might be tempted to purchase different merchandise, especially the ones that you know will not be available anywhere. There are some rare items that you can find in the convention. So if you are an impulsive buyer who will have a hard time resisting the purchase of all of these items, you may need to save a lot of extra money.
Tips to know:
- As mentioned, you must devote your time in securing tickets. In 2011, there are people who were not able to secure tickets because the demands for tickets was so overwhelming.
- If you have not been able to buy tickets on the day of sales, you might be able to get tickets on the resale day. Comic Con informs its followers about the potential of reselling. This usually takes place much closer to the convention dates, around June or July. These tickets become available at this time due to returned tickets after the initial sale date
- If your budget allows, you can invest in a hotel/ticket package. Comic Con partners with some hotels in the area. Most of these ticket packages may even go on sale as late as a few weeks or months before the convention. Keep an eye out for news about these packages. To find these hotel packages, use websites such as Hotels.com.
- It is known that Comic Con holds 400 events over its four days. It is impossible for you to attend all the events. Because of that, you should study the convention schedule before you attend and pick the events you find most interesting.
How can I save money?
- Always buy from the official site of Comic Con. If at all possible, do not purchase tickets from scalpers. You might be overcharged if you purchase from other sites not authorized by Comic Con. In addition, possibilities of not getting into the event even if you have the ticket may happen since your ID will be needed. If you buy one from scalpers, your name may not match with what is on the ticket, and you may be rejected from entry.
- If you are an avid Comic Con attendee, you can buy tickets in advance (for next year) while you are at the convention. Once you get into the Comic-Con, head straight for the ticket booth to buy tickets for next year. Getting tickets on site is the easiest way to guarantee your entry. This saves you money, time, and hassle as well.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.