How Much Does Cornstarch Cost?
Cornstarch is the starch that comes from the corn grain or wheat. It is often used as a thickening agent and used to make corn syrup and other sugars.
How much does it cost?
- Most grocery stores and online stores say that cornstarch falls at about $1.50 to $2.00 per pound.
- The price for cornstarch depends on the brand and the amount contained per pack. Most packs contain 16 ounces while others may have only 12. A particular brand of cornstarch sold at Walmart in 16 ounce easy storage boxes (24 per case) costs around $20. This means that each box only costs around $0.89 each.
- The human-guided search engine Chacha.com also stated that a 12-ounce cornstarch (pack of 12) is sold for around $27. The non-bulk price for the said brand of cornstarch is at about $1 per box.
What is going to be included?
- Purchasing cornstarch is very easy. Typically all grocery stores and big stores sell cornstarch. It is a common item at all stores in all cities and states. Even gas station marts carry cornstarch in the grocery aisles. You simply go to the nearest grocery store and look among baking supplies.
- You can also purchase cornstarch online. You can shop, place your order and wait for it to be delivered right to your doorstep. However, this is a bit costly since shipping fees must be considered and cornstarch can be a rather heavy item. But this will surely save you time and the hassles of long queues in the supermarket.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping Fees. Unless it is identified by the retailer beforehand that it is free of shipping charges, you will likely shoulder the expenses for getting the boxes of cornstarch shipped into your location. That is if you choose to buy them online.
- Other Ingredients. If you are using cornstarch in a recipe of some kind, you will need to purchase other ingredients to finish your product.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand. Like any other product, different brands of cornstarch differ in prices. However, they fall on the average price of $0.90 to $1 per pound.
- Location. This is a big determinant of the price if you purchase your cornstarch online. As we all know, the shipping fees are determined by the specific location of the buyer.
Tips to know:
- Corn starch is has proved to be an effective home remedy over the years since it can provide temporary relief for anything from chicken pox to poison ivy.
- One of the most interesting properties of cornstarch, often demonstrated in the classroom experiments, is that it becomes a type of non-Newtonian fluid known as dilatants when mixed with water.
- It is also used by powdered sugar manufacturers as one of the ingredients to prevent the sugar from clumping.
- Some people prefer cornstarch-based baby powder to the more traditional talc-based variety, as talc may present health concerns.
- Aside from being a thickening agent, cornstarch can help prevent eggs from curdling, which helps in custard making, flan, cheesecake, quiche and other recipes.
How can I save money?
- Shop at the nearest grocery store and look for affordable yet quality cornstarch. Since you already know the average price of cornstarch, you can look for a brand that will be light for your budget. It does not hurt to check for major brand coupons when shopping to see if there is anything available.
- You can also save money by buying bulk cornstarch packs. Cornstarch generally has a shelf life of two full years, which means you can stock up when you find the lowest prices possible.
- When buying cornstarch online, the shipping fees may be higher. However, you can also find much lower prices online. Compare the prices for the cornstarch online plus shipping charges to the price of cornstarch in a store and see which is a better deal.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.