How Much Does Escargot Cost?
Escargot is a food product that is considered a delicacy and is usually only served in high scale restaurants. Escargots are land snails that are cooked as a dish somewhat like a very small version of shellfish. Escargot is common among French cuisine as an appetizer, and because of this, you will commonly find this dish on most French menus. The most well-known species of escargot in France is the Helix.
How much does it cost?
- By the ounce, outside of the shell, escargot caviar can range anywhere from $60 to $95 per ounce.
- On the other hand, if the escargots are inside of the shells, plan on spending around $0.50 to $1 per snail. These are often referred to as a Helix Escargot.
- Caviar-line.com offers an Escargot Achatine in a 5-ounce container for $11. These escargot are cooked with garlic butter and cocktail pastries. They also have a French Escargot Helix in a 7.05-ounce container that retailers for $9. It contains 24 pieces of large helix snails. They also sell Escargot empty shells for $10.50. This package contains 24 pieces of large shells of escargot.
- Beverlyhillscaviar.com offers 73 large pieces of helix escargot for $45.
What is going to be included?
- Most escargot sold online comes in packs or in a can. It may come in shells or as snails that do not have shells. They usually vary in size but there are packs that contain uniformly sized escargot.
- During the cooking process, the snails are typically purged and removed from the sauce. They are often mixed with either a garlic butter or wine. After they have been cooked, they are placed back in the shell and are served with spices. Most trays at a restaurant will include six to 12 pieces.
- Escargot is very high in protein and is around 80% water.
- Escargot in a can typically has a shell life of 2 to 4 months. It must be refrigerated. Imper caviar has to be eaten within a week once the can is opened.
What are the extra costs?
- When you are going to buy a can or a pack of escargot online, you have to get it delivered to your doorstep relatively fast. Thus, you need to factor in the shipping charges. This may be higher than normal shipping times since it usually needs to be shipped overnight.
- Like most dishes, escargot often goes great with other ingredients such as garlic and butter. As a luxurious appetizer, it can also go great with jello, tuna de tarter, cucumber soap shots and bitter chocolate toasts.
- If you are going to make escargots at home, you will need to have special tools in order to eat them more easily. This includes a pair of tongs with which you can hold the snail as well as a two-pronged fork that is used to remove the meat. There are even plates made specifically for escargot; these plates have 6 indentations that can each hold one escargot in place.
Factors that influence the price:
- The Quality. Escargot will be all over the board when it comes to quality. The quality will depend on the freshness and where the escargot originated from.
- The Size. You can buy escargot according to its size. Those that are large sized are pricier than the small ones.
- Per Pack or Per Can. You may either choose escargot sold in packs or cans.
Tips to know:
- Consider purchasing escargot snails that are packed and uncooked. You may cook them yourself with any recipe you want, and they are also going to be cheaper this way.
- However, if you are not into cooking and if you are a busy person, then you may want to consider buying a can or a pack of cooked escargots of your favorite ready-made recipe. While it may be a pinch more, they can be prepped relatively fast and are much more convenient.
- Choose escargot that is organic and all natural. It may be more expensive, but once you are spending that much money one a product a few more dollars will not be a big change.
How can I save money?
- If you want to consider buying escargot online, you should look for online stores that are offering discount coupons or even special promotions. When purchasing online, be well aware of who you are purchasing the food through. Ask questions and closely inspect their standards when it comes to shipping.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.