How Much Does Feta Cheese Cost?
Feta cheese is a cheese that is aged over time. Usually made in Greece, this cheese is crumbly and is produced in blocks with a grainy based texture. Feta cheese is commonly found in dishes such as salads, pastries and even sandwiches. Generally sold in blocks, the cost of feta cheese is going to depend on the brand, quality, location and amount needed.
How much is it?
- Fresh feta cheese sold either online or in a local grocery store can cost anywhere from $3 to $7 per pound. For example, a 2 pound deli fresh block of feta cheese by ParthenonFoods sells retails for $6 to $9.
- Local farmer’s markets may sell feta cheese such as Greek, Bulgarian, as well as french. Fresh cheese commonly found here can range from $4 to $9 a pound.
- 8 ounce containers normally found at a local grocery store can cost anywhere from $4 to $11 depending on the quality of the cheese. For example, a popular brand such as President sells its 8 ounce container for $5 to $8.
- An online market such as ChristosMarket.com has various Feta Cheese that can vary anywhere from $4 to $22 per package. The average package weighs anywhere from a half pound to as much as two pounds.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional recipes in order to cook meals incorporating feta cheese may require additional ingredients. For example, a popular dish such as the Feta Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Breasts requires ingredients such as chicken and bacon.
What is going to be included?
- Feta cheese will come prepackaged in a block, or in a container, depending on how it is purchased. Purchases over one pound will come in a block, while 8 ounces may come in a container. This cheese can either be pre-crumbled, or blocked so that you can crumble it yourself.
- Some packages of feta cheese may come with recipes or ideas for use.
Tips to know:
- To get the finest feta cheese possible, look for those that are directly from a brine bath. Look inside of the packaging to see if there is any brine to ensure that it stays moist.
- A cheese such as Feta is best when eaten fresh. If you don’t plan on eating it right away, it’s best to let it sit in a brine or milk bath. On average, this cheese will last no more than three months.
- When storing, don’t freeze this type of cheese as it will take away most of the flavor. Instead, consider placing it in the refrigerator using the tips above.
- Since Feta is jammed packed with salt, consider avoiding a cheese such as this as it’s loaded with a lot of salt.
How can I save money?
- Try local warehouse retailers such as Costco and Sam’s Club. These department stores will sell cheese by the pound. Many people opt out of purchasing it online since it may be better to get a fresh product at your local store.
- The more you purchase, the less you are going to spend per pound.
- Check for coupons of popular brands of feta cheese if purchasing from a local grocery store.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.