How Much Does Flank Steak Cost?
Flank steak is cut from the abdominal muscles of the cow. Meaning “over the belly,” this is a long and flat cut used in a variety of dishes such as a London broil.
How much is it?
- Like other cuts of beef, the price of the flank steak differs depending on the amount of meat that will be purchased. Beef comes from different breeds of cows; depending on the quality of cow from which the meat comes, the price can be different as well. All beef is graded according to different factors such as maturity, texture, and lean color and the price would vary based on this factor. Finally, the price can be affected by the store which sells the meat; each store has the discretion to price the steak, but each will also try to price it competitively to other stores in the area.
- USDA choice cuts of flank steak are generally priced from $5 to $10 per pound. The average weight for the flanks steak usually reaches 70 pounds.
- MarxFoods.com is an online retailer that sells flank steak in bulk. They sell different kinds of flank steak from different animals such as bison, but they also sell grass fed beef flank steaks. This type of flank steak is packed in 46 pound boxes and is sold in the $400 range.
- CSUMeats.com is another online service that sells various types of flank steak. Aside from flank steak, they also sell skirt and sirloin steak. The flank steak sold on this site can be purchased at minimum quantities. However, they do not require you to purchase bulk orders that contain 50 plus pounds of flank steak; instead, you can buy smaller quantities that can cost anywhere from $6 to $7 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Flank steaks are usually plastic wrapped and placed inside boxes to maintain the freshness of the meat. It can either be chilled or frozen,
- Coming from the belly region of a cow, most prefer to use this type of steak in meals such as a London Broil or as a skirt steak in fajitas.
- This meat is often pan-fried, broiled or braised.
Tips to know:
- A flank steak is best when it is cooked quickly since they do not require long cooking time as the meat is already tendered. A lot of people also prefer to marinade this cut of beef as it gives off a lot of flavor once it is cooked.
- Flank steak can be grilled or baked depending on your preference. If cooking the steak on the grill, you should marinate it first. However, grilling will result in the loss of juices from the steak. You should cook it quickly on high heat to prevent losing all the juice. Flank steak can also be baked. After putting the meat in a dish with some seasoning and olive oil, cover it tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees. This will cause the steam from the meat to collect within the pan, helping tenderize the meat.
How can I save money?
- Look for online stores that sell the meat at a lower price. Do not be too cheap, though. What you may find is that if you look for the cheapest cut, you may get what you pay for.
- If possible, try to get the meat straight from the supplier. This will cut out the middle man and therefore the price increase. It will also provide you with the freshest meat possible.