How Much Does King Crab Cost?
Because of its larger size, king crab is one of the most common types of crab found in the local grocery store. There are three types of king crab species: the red king, blue king and brown king. Each species is found in different areas are most will be harvested from the Bering Sea in Alaska.
How much is it?
- The main factor that affects the price of king crab is supply and demand. In places where king crab is readily available, such the east coast, the price can be much cheaper. In an inland area where the king crab would have to be shipped and processed, the price will be a lot higher. The price will also fluctuate depending on the time of year. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $11 to $25 per pound.
- One of the online stores that sells king crab is AlaskaKingCrab.com. They usually sell king crab legs but they also offer other varieties of seafood such as fresh and canned salmon. The king crab legs are packed in 5 or 6 pound bags and it usually cost $130 to $185.
- On the website The-Great-Alaskan-Seafood.com, you will find gigantic king crab legs that are packed in 6 pound bags. This company usually sells the king crab legs for $280 to $303 per bag. If you opt to purchase the king crab by the pound, the costs will be around $49.95 per pound.
What is going to be included?
- Most stores sell king crab legs rather than the whole crab itself. The legs contain the most meat and often in demand by the buyer.
- King Crab sold to different locations that are far from where it is caught is usually sold frozen and is packed in plastic or boxes. It also come in different sizes and are often sorted.
What are the extra costs?
- Since not all areas have king crab available in their stores, most people choose to order it online. There are applicable shipping charges that would be added to the total cost of the king crab; add state tax to the total cost and the price can rise even higher.
Tips to know:
- King crabs are only available in specific parts of the country and can be hard to obtain if you are located far from the source. You can consider other types of crab that are available in your area as they can be cheaper.
- If you live close by where king crabs are obtained, you can visit the local market or stores where the crabs are shipped right after being caught.
How can I save money?
- King crab is not the only type of crab that you can eat; there are several varieties from which you can choose. If there are crabs that can be sourced from somewhere close to your location, you can buy that rather than have king crabs shipped since that can cost a lot more.
- There are different online stores that sell king crab and it is offered at competitive prices. Some stores would even offer the king crab at discounted prices which can cut off a significant amount off the price.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.