How Much Does Oatmeal Cost?
Oatmeal tends to be a very popular breakfast for those that want something fast, quick and good for your health. Costs are going to greatly vary depending on where you purchase it and the brand.
How much is it?
- On average, a box of oatmeal will cost anywhere from $13 to as much as $30 per box. These boxes are commonly going to have multi-packets inside the box.
- A popular brand, such as the Quaker has a box of 52 packets, can cost $14 to $25 per box.
- Another organic brand, Nature’s Path, varies anywhere from $22 to $30 for a six-pack box.
- Quick oats will cost about $2 per 42 ounces, while old fashioned rolled oats can cost close to $2.50 for the same amount.
- Steel cut oats will cost about $1 per pound.
- Warehouse clubs such as Costco have boxes of frozen oatmeal. A 30-ounce container, for example, can be purchased for around $3 to $4.
- SolitaryRoad.com says one cup of cooked oatmeal should cost you about 4.3 cents per serving.
|Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal Cost||$2 per 2 ounce container|
|Jamba Juice Oatmeal Cost||$3.50|
|Mcdonalds Oatmeal Cost||$1.99|
|Quaker Instant Oatmeal Cost Per Pack (15 ounces)||$3 to $4|
|Quaker Oats Old Fashioned Oats (18 ounce)||$2.50 to $4|
|Sam's Club Oatmeal Cost||$8 for 40 packets|
|Starbucks Oatmeal Cost||$2.99|
What is going to be included?
- Most boxes come equipped with little packets that will just require water. Others, such as rolled oats, will need to be boiled in water before being consumed.
Tips to know:
- Instant oatmeal isn’t the same as the rolled oats. If used as an equivalent, you will find the food will just become gummy, making it almost inedible.
- Oatmeal is commonly found in food such as bread, muffins, granola and pilaf. Believe it or not, even recipes such as meatloaf can have oatmeal.
- Oat flour is common for those who want to make bread. To create a thicker consistency flour, consider using oats in a food processor.
- Be sure to store your oatmeal is a dark cupboard that isn’t too hot. Most oatmeal is going to last up to six months. Be sure to check the packaging to ensure that you now of the expiration date.
- Adding fresh fruit is a great way to add healthy fats and protein to your oatmeal. Most recommend you should add at least one cup of fresh fruit for every 100 calories to fill you up.
- Consider looking for the plain flavored oatmeal for less sugar. If you pay close attention to the flavor packs most come with a lot of sugar and won’t be as healthy as you think.
- Adding too much honey or brown sugar can increase the sugar content, essentially making the oatmeal unhealthy. Instead of doing this, consider cinnamon, vanilla extract or cocoa powder.
- How many calories in oatmeal? About 158 calories per cup.
Best-selling oatmeal online
What can I put in oatmeal for more flavor?
- Mashed bananas
- Whipped cream
- Whipped butter
- Protein powder
- Peanut butter
- Chia seeds
- Egg whites
- Chocolate chips
- Fresh fruit
- Dried fruit
- Sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
How to make oatmeal
Oatmeal can be made in various ways, but we will show you a few simple ways to make a whole, hearty breakfast.
- To cook regular oats, fill a pot with one cup of water and bring it to a boil. For every cup of water you add to the pot, add a half cup of oatmeal. Once at a boil, add the oatmeal and stir. Continue to do this until you see a consistency you want. This can often take up to 15 minutes, depending on the brand.
- To add flavor, consider adding salt, syrup, honey or brown sugar. Some often enjoy real and/or dried fruits.
- To cook steel oats, fill a pot with one cup of water and bring it to a boil. The more water you add, the creamier your oatmeal will become. As the water boils, add 1/4 cup of oatmeal for every cup of water you have. Let the oats sit until the water comes to a boil again. Reduce the heat and stir occasionally for the next 20 minutes. The longer you cook, the softer these oats will become.
- Like regular oats, adding honey and cinnamon can spice up the flavor.
- Instant oatmeal will require a deep bowl to prevent overflowing. Empty the packet into the bowl and add the amount of water the package states; this is usually about a half cup or so. Boil water either in the microwave or kettle, and once it boils, pour it slowly over the oats. Stir the oats for about two minutes, let it sit for a minute and top with flavors if you prefer.
Common oatmeal flavors
- Apples and Cranberries
- Apples and Cinnamon
- Chocolate Chip
- Cinnamon and Spice
- Cinnamon Roll
- Fruit and Cream
- Honey Bun
- Maple and Brown Sugar
- Strawberries and Cream
- Raisins and Spice
- Peaches and Cream
How can I save money?
- Consider making your own oatmeal. TheSimpleDollar has a tutorial on how you can make your own oatmeal at home.
- Purchase oatmeal in bulk to save more in the long run. Oatmeal tends to have a longer shelf life, compared to your cereals and other various breakfast foods. Also, if buying in bulk, keep your eyes peeled for special sales.
- Store brands tend to be the most cost effective as they have the same ingredients as name brands.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.