How Much Does Sand Cost?
Sand can be used in different ways and is one of the most used natural resources in the country. Sand is often used in construction as well as landscaping and can even be used in paint to produce a textured finish. The price of sand depends on the amount of sand, where you purchase it from, if delivery is required and your geographical location.
How much is it?
- On average, most bulk purchases are going to be sold per ton. On average, sand can cost anywhere from $6 to $13 per ton, minus the delivery fee. Smaller purchases in 25 to 50-pound bags, which can commonly be found at Home Depot or Lowe’s, can range anywhere from $5 to $18 per bag.
- For example, Texas Industries sells a 50-pound bag of play sand for $9 to $19 and Lowe’s sells 1,000 pounds, which can cover nine cubic feet, for $22.
- WesthookSandAndGravel.com sells different types of sand that range from mason, road, and cowbay sand. This sand has different uses such as in the road, on a golf course, as well as for landscaping purposes. This type of sand can cost $22 to $42 per ton.
- For people who need sand for their aquarium will find live sand can cost anywhere from $35 to $55 per 20 pounds. Live sand is going to contain live marine bacteria and will provide the proper chemical balance for your fish tank.
|Type of Sand||Average Price|
|All Purpose Sand||$4 per 50-pound bag or about $6 to $10~ per ton (delivery extra)|
|Colored Sand for Sandbox||$25 per 20-pound bag|
|Masonry Sand||$25 per 1/2 cubic yard|
|Paver Sand||$4 per 0.5 cubic feet|
|Play Sand||$3 per 50-pounds|
|Polymeric Sand||$250 per 50 pounds|
|Pool Sand||$10 per 50-pounds|
|Ton of Sand||$25 per ton|
What is going to be included?
- Sand purchased in bulk will be dropped off in a spot of your choice, usually laid on top of a tarp in the driveway. The most common sand local landscaping companies sell will be river sand, masonry sand, M-10 sand, play sand and arena sand, which is a mix of 90 percent sand and 10 percent clay. If purchased by the bag, a bag of sand can be purchased at any home improvement store, such as Home Depot and Lowe’s, or local retailers like Walmart.
- One yard of sand will weigh close to 2,700 pounds. Every 1,000 pounds will be able to cover about nine cubic feet.
What are the extra costs?
- The price for the sand usually does not include the delivery. A delivery price can range anywhere from $50 to $100 or more depending on how far the company has to travel, but this fee can be waived if a minimum is purchased.
Tips to know
- If you want to have a bulk order delivered, most companies will have a minimum order you have to meet before they consider delivery.
- A gallon of sand weighs 12.45 pounds and a cubic yard of sand weighs close to 3,000 pounds.
How can I save money?
- Depending on the situation, it may be best to purchase sand by the bag rather than in bulk. Buying in bulk, as mentioned above, may require you to pay delivery fees, which could be as much as $150, depending on where you live. If you need the sand for a smaller playground, sandbox or a localized area, then bagged sand should do the trick. Now, if the sand is going to be used for larger playgrounds, a beach or a larger project, such as a volleyball court, then it may be wise to purchase the sand in bulk.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.