How Much Does Sawdust Cost?
Sawdust is commonly used by farmers to mix with dirt and manure for their gardens and crops. It can also be used for bedding for chickens, horses and cows. For commercial purposes, companies may compress it into fire logs. The cost of sawdust depends on the manufacturer and quality of the material.
How much is it?
- Usually, sawdust prices range anywhere from $5 to $15 per five-pound bag, depending on the quality and the type of wood it came from.
- By the ton in bulk, it could cost $50 or more, according to NBC News, bringing the average truckload to $600 to $1,200. However, some classified ads online have it for as little as $5 to $9 per ton, minus delivery fees.
- Sawdust is something that is fairly common to throw in horse stalls. The average stall can cost anywhere from $125 to $200 to fill up. Pine wood shavings, for example, cost about $8 to $10 per two cubic feet. Pine wood shavings are often purchased for animal bedding due to its natural state and softer and absorbent feel.
- For example, a bag of American Wood Fibers manufactured by American Wood sells for $5 to $7. At Tractor Supply, a 5.5 cubic foot bag retails for about $6.
What is going to be included?
- Sawdust will be packaged in a container such as a box or a plastic, compressed bag, or if it’s being delivered, it may be simply dumped on a tarp, similar to soil or landscaping rocks. Each bag should be free and clear of any debris such as big blocks of wood and random debris. Compressed bags, which often come in 3.5 cubic feet quantities and weigh close to 50 pounds or more, can double in size when loose. These compressed bags are often purchased by those who want to use it as bedding material.
- Sawdust used for animal purposes should be free of any contaminants and mill waste and will be mixed with various sizes to help with absorbency and odor control. A reputable company will often tell you what you’re getting before you make a purchase.
- It can often be purchased at local lumberyards, online via Amazon (as seen below), pet retailers, some cabinet shops, sawmills (call before doing so), Craigslist or any home improvement stores.
What are the extra costs?
- Buying in bulk often means extra delivery fees, usually about $50 to $150, depending on the distance traveled. However, some sellers may waive this fee if you meet the minimum spending requirement.
Top sellers on Amazon
Tips to know
- Shavings purchased in bulk can often be contaminated with dirt and other unwanted material, making it unsuitable for animal use. Most bulk purchases will be considered the “waste” and should be highly avoided.
- Uses for sawdust include soaking up spills, feeding your plants, creating a fire starter, filling in wood holes, packing a path, getting rid of weeds, lightening cement and for cleaning floors.
How can I save money?
- Consider checking out the free section on Craigslist. Besides Craigslist, there are free recycle websites such as Recycle.net that can help find free things as well.
- Calling up local lumber yards may often point you in the right direction. According to some people online, some local yards give it away for free.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.