How Much Does Spinach Cost?
Spinach is one of the many green vegetables that is commonly used in salads or prepared with other dishes. The spinach plant itself grows to a short height of just around 11 inches and can typically survive the coldest of winters. Spinach originated in the central and southwestern regions of Asia, but it is now grown almost worldwide. While the spinach plant has flowers, they are not very noticeable and are formed in small clusters that contain many seeds.
How much does it cost?
- Loose baby, organic spinach is going to cost anywhere from $3.50 to $5.50 a pound.
- On the other hand, a “bunch” of spinach is going to vary in price anywhere from $2 to $4.50 per bunch at a local grocery store or farmer’s market.
- Loose spinach that is not of the baby variety will retail for $3 to $5 per pound.
- A bag of spinach that is already washed and processed can cost anywhere from $2 to $4 per 10 ounces.
- Trader Joe’s sells a six ounce bag of organic baby spinach that retails for $2.50 per bag
- On the website Eatsleepgarden.wordpress.com, a list of the different local products grown in the area. The cost per bag of the baby spinach would be around $4.25 for a half a pound.
- Spinach can also come frozen and can be either whole or chopped. This type of spinach is best used when the spinach is being cooked or baked into something.
What is going to be included?
- The vegetable is considered as having some of the most nutritious minerals and vitamins on the market. For one thing, the rich antioxidants that are infused inside this vegetable will ensure that you stay young and healthy for quite a long time.
- The nutrients of Vitamin C and E are the foremost reasons why this is a vegetable is one of the healthiest out of most.
- Three distinct types of spinach are on the market. Savoy spinach is made up of leaves that are dark green and have a crinkly texture. This is the type of spinach that is most often sold fresh in grocery stores and markets. Flat or smooth-leafed spinach is much easy to clean because of its texture and is commonly made in to the frozen variety of spinach. The last type of spinach is the semi-savoy, which is simply a middle ground between the other two. It has leaves that are somewhat crinkly but is easier to clean like the smooth leafed spinach.
What are the extra costs?
- The foremost extra expenses that you may have to pay for the purchase of the veggie are the price of the overhead. This means that you will be paying for the cartons it is packed in, the harvesting costs, etc.
- Organic spinach is often going to cost around $1 to $2 per pound more.
- In most cases, the spinach will be used in a recipe or salad. In either case, you will need many other ingredients that will not be included in the purchase of spinach.
Factors that influence the price:
- The geographical location where you purchase the spinach is a major aspect that will affect the price of the product.
- The type of spinach that you decide to buy is also another element on which the price is based. Usually, the more rare the type of spinach that you will buy, the higher costs will most likely be.
- The most common use for spinach is the salad. Salads made with spinach rather than iceberg or other types of lettuce will have a different taste and texture. Spinach salads are often made with fruits such as strawberries or other types of berries, and there are also ingredient such as walnuts. All of these toppings can be accompanied by a dressing such as raspberry vinaigrette to create a delicious and elegant salad.
- There are many dips that incorporate spinach. These can be used for things such as breads or crackers.
- Some common dishes that use spinach are soup, pasta, quiche, and stuffed mushrooms or pasta shells.
How can I save money?
- The best way to buy the spinach at a very low price is to search for it at a local farmer’s market. Plenty of cities have regular weekend markets offering the best fruits and vegetables at really affordable prices. It would be ideal to look for the spinach in these areas to get good discounts, and the best thing of all is that it will be fresh.
- If buying spinach by the bag, look for coupons online. Many major brands have coupons available online and in store.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.